KATERRA exists to help transform construction through technology - every process & every product.
We provided end-to-end building services, creating new efficiencies between design, engineering, construction, project management, & more. Our integrated teams apply the principles of technology & manufacturing to the building industry, bringing fresh minds & innovative approaches to remove unnecessary time & costs from construction projects.
At KATERRA, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, & bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
One of KATERRA's cultural principles is Diversity.We believe different backgrounds, ideas, & skillsets result in better outcomes.KATERRA does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. KATERRA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, veterans & those with diverse life experiences
We are currently seeking a Health, Safety, & Environmental (HSE) Technician to join our team to ensure the safety & health of our employees, protect the environment, & support our mission.The Construction HSE Technician is responsible for implementing general industry safety programs, ensuring compliance with applicable laws, standards & requirements, implementing key performance indicators (KPIs), as well as verifying & validating that HSE programs are being effectively implemented across the construction organization. The Construction HSE Technician is expected to establish & promote a proactive safety environment & culture by setting the example, providing proactive coaching/mentoring, & helping our construction organization achieve HSE success. Additionally, this role will be integral with the development, implementation, & sustained success of employee training programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensures the safety & well-being of all employees, contractors & visitors.
- Leads by example & promotes a proactive safety environment & culture.
- Proactively coaches/teaches workforce hazard identification & mitigation.
- Support the employee learning & development goals & objectives on subjects including site-specific safety & environmental topics as well as others on an as-needed basis.
- Provide learning & development support to all construction departments.
- Creation of varying learning media (presentations, handouts, video, etc.).
- Presentation to varying sized classes on schedules both routine & non-routine.
- Management of training records.
- Long-term maintenance of educational programs including evaluations of training accuracy & effectiveness.
- Implement new training programs as needed.
- Program Development, Implementation & Verification
- Assists Construction HSE Manager with executing HSE programs & creation of tools to execute HSE efficiently & effectively throughout the construction process.
- Tests effectiveness of HSE programs through routine (daily, weekly, etc.) walks, checklists, & audits.
- Regularly evaluates existing documentation & effectiveness of any program implementation.
- Proactively assists the HSE organization with interpretation & implementation of HSE regulations, standards, & expectations.
- Helps drive solution resolution of HSE activities & improvement opportunities.
- Performs data analysis (i.e., incident rates, trends), as needed.
- Day to Day
- Builds relationships with employees to create an environment of trust & collaboration.
- Communicates daily with employees to help them understand HSE focus areas/elements & status of items still in progress.
- Evaluates Task Hazard Analysis (THA) creation, accuracy, implementation, & effectiveness.
- Evaluates personal protective equipment (PPE) needs related to construction activities & employee functions.
- Assists with the following programs:
- Incident Management notification, drug & alcohol program, return to work, etc.
- Environmental stormwater, air, reporting, sampling, etc.
- Health PPE needs, compliance, evaluations, etc.
- Supports safety meeting development & execution.
- Member of the Safety Committee at each construction site.
- Assists with incident triage, documentation, & closure of corrective actions.
- Strategies & Collaboration
- Proactively works with Construction HSE Manager, HSSE Director, Risk & Insurance, the Learning & Development Lead, & Katerra Construction counterparts to ensure alignment of Katerra initiatives, strategies, & outlooks across the company.
- Works collaboratively with existing team members, & supports all aspects of Katerra HSE, as needed (i.e., construction, offices).
- Works collaboratively with HSE consultants.
Required Skills & Experience
- 2-5 years of General Industry HSE experience required.
- Experience with executing training programs.
- Excellent organizational, planning, prioritization, follow-up, & closure skills.
- Solid leadership skills, including effective verbal & written communication.
- Experience working with government regulators & a thorough knowledge of federal, state, & local government HSE regulations (e.g., OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, EPA, DOT, WA L&I, Spokane Valley, etc.).
- Some experience implementing HSE management systems & behavior-based safety programs.
- Ability to influence others to perform their jobs safely & create a culture of safety.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite software programs.
- Preferred: Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field, such as safety, environmental, industrial hygiene, fire protection, science, or engineering or equivalent combination of education & experience.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue & hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.