Were one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because were making homeownership simpler, faster & most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what its like to buy & own a home in this country, were building things that dont exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, were one of Crains Best Places to work
- Were #11 on Fortunes Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 ons 2019 5000 Fastest-Growing Companies
- Weve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Weve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech & finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, & others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying journey.
Design plays a massive role in achieving this. Mortgages are complicated & quite frankly, stale. As designers, our job is to take all this complexity, distill it down to its essence, & repackage it into something simple, intuitive, & enjoyable.
Thats why we dont distinguish between UX, Visual, or Product Designers. Our designers are all of them part business strategist, part user researcher, & 100% committed to creating an exceptional user experience in a space that sorely needs it.
The Role: Senior Designer
As a Senior Designer at Better, your task is to blend design & strategy to solve complex user problems. You must be highly strategic & detail-oriented, with a deep understanding of visual design, UX, & service design. Were looking for T-shape designers experts in one area, yet comfortable with a broad range of challenges. This can encompass everything from tough interaction patterns to intricate service design solutions. Across them all, you can balance quick delivery timelines & the voices of many different stakeholders. Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, & UX Researchers will see you as a partner, not just an executor.
Collaboration & critique are at the core of everything we do. We believe that creating the best product experience requires intense collaboration, constant questioning, & a healthy level of challenge. The user is always our focus. So, we dont waste time presenting in Google Slides or Keynote. We prototype, test, & iterate early & often.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of experience
- A portfolio of exceptional work across digital products, branding, & user experience applications
- Expertise developing & conveying ideas, data, & business concepts clearly in written & visual format
- Demonstrate & model beautiful, functional visual & interaction design, typography, & hierarchy
- Expertise in Figma, Illustrator, Principle, & Google Slides
- Attention to detail every decision matters
- A track record of shipping great design, & an understanding of releasing features in phased/incremental stages
- Experience & appetite for identifying & solving complex, ambiguous design problems with best-in-class solutions
- Proven ability to lead & collaborate in cross-functional environments
- Ability to create project timelines & prioritize current projects
- Impeccable execution & care for all aspects of design, from conceptual thinking to motion & visual design
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize & present findings, & articulate design rationale
- Experience working in a highly iterative, collaborative environment where people share work daily
- Familiarity with prototyping tools (Principle, Invision)
- Proven ability to ship work fast without sacrificing quality or impacting delivery velocity
- Flexible, adaptable, able to work in an entrepreneurial environment
- Zero ego
What youll do:
- Ideate around, concept, & create exceptional product solutions for complex strategic problems across multiple touchpoints
- Create your own prototypes in Principle or a similar design program
- Consistently attend weekly shadowing sessions with members of other departments (Mortgage Experts, Sales Managers, Underwriters, etc.)
- Review, critique, & provide feedback to other designers
- Present work to other departments & be comfortable articulating the strategic rationale behind a given solution
- Identify product gaps & roadmap solutions with Product Managers & Engineers
- Partner with PMs & Engineers to set KPIs, gather data & iterate on existing product features/designs
- Work with Senior & Lead Designers to evolve our design system
- Respond to feedback provided by external stakeholders & internal department leads
- IF WANTED: Mentor 1-2 designers
Things we value:
- Curiosity.Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness.Financial news & trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness.No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion.If you dont get excited about homeownership, mortgages, & real estate, it simply wont work.
- Smarts: book & street.We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy & Compassion.You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication.Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you dont understand?
- Building.Doing. Making.Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking & talking to figure this stuff out, but you cant wait to leave the conversation & build it.