About the right team member:
Staff Software Engineers provide the vision & expertise that underpin Betterment's architecture. On the Data Engineering team, you will help lead in making high-level decisions about what patterns & frameworks will best help us achieve our objectives. Were tackling difficult questions of scale & architecture as our business, & in turn, our data, grows.
You possess an ability to introduce new patterns strategically, framing short-term projects with long-term vision. You are excited to work in an environment where you get to work with multi-functional teams that span the entire company. You love to learn & to share your vision & expertise with others in an open, collaborative environment. Youll tackle a diverse set of data-oriented problems, working with a wide range of teams & learning a great deal about finance in the process.
This role can be based out of our headquarters in NYC or our brand new Philadelphia office.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Work on increasing the efficiency of our ETL processes as the size of Betterments data grows 10x annually
- Explore new technologies that will allow us to keep our internal API response times low even as throughput grows
- Move quickly to provide analysts with new data before they ask for it
- Investigate how we can enhance our logging & monitoring to discover & resolve issues before they cause problems
- Think about scale & new technologies that will enable us to achieve a high level of service as Betterment is managing hundreds of billions of dollars
You will be effective if you have:
- Have deep expertise in at least one object oriented language, such as Python, Java, Ruby
- Have deep expertise utilizing workflow management systems such as Airflow
- Have experience successfully introducing new patterns & frameworks
- Have proven & recent experience mentoring & educating other developers on new techniques & standard methodologies
- Can optimize a query with the best of them
- Have a passion for software engineering, & for creating what doesnt exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Appreciate agility & pragmatism in software development
- Thrive in a startup environment
- Have the grit to see projects through to their conclusion
Tools you will be working with:
- Development: OO languages such as Python, frameworks such as Flask or Ruby on Rails, Advanced SQL
- Datastores: Redshift or other columnar stores, Postgres, MySQL, DynamoDB or other NoSQL stores
- Workflow Management Systems: Airflow, Luigi
- Technologies: Event Streaming, Caching tools, MapReduce
- Platforms: AWS!
Betterments Data Engineering team spends most of its time with the tools above, but we cast a much wider net in other parts of the engineering team. We strive to always choose the best tool for the job. We maintain most of our ETL & orchestration in Airflow & Python, but we serve up data to customers through APIs in a lightweight caching application built in Rails. The person for whom were looking will be a pro who can guide both our data pipeline development as well as our customer-facing APIs.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $16 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 400,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws.We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.