Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions & consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Over 1,000 clientsincluding more than 50% of the Fortune 100choose Foursquare.
Foursquares toolkit includes Placed powered by Foursquare, Audiences powered by Factual & Proximity powered by Factual, Analytics Solutions, Places, Pilgrim SDK & Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to measure foot traffic lift via multi-touch attribution; deliver proximity-based advertising; analyze & identify trends; drive deeper engagement via Foursquares industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 200,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Twitter & Uber; & optimize advertising campaigns across hundreds of audiences. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map & models fresh & up-to-date.
Foursquare has more than 400 employees based in New York headquarters with offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Singapore & London. In 2019 Foursquare acquired Placed from Snap Inc, & then in 2020 merged with Factual. Foursquare is proud to be funded by The Raine Group, Simon Ventures, Naver, Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners & more.
About the Role:
Foursquare is seeking an experienced Engineering Director to lead the evolution of the engineering teams & tech upon which our products & our business are built. You will liaise with business & product leaders to align efforts/priorities with business goals. You will help to optimize team structure & process to drive execution & accountability as well as provide career development, coaching, & mentorship to the members of your teams, & cultivate emerging leaders. In this role you will identify & surface staffing needs, think strategically about the growth & evolution of the team(s), & help shape the future of engineering at Foursquare.
- Provide leadership across the engineering community in Foursquare to ensure solutions are built in alignment with our principles & standards.
- Ensure that all relevant project teams follow a common set of principles & patterns
- Act as an evangelist for eng teams & works with teams in Foursquare to keep them apprised of future plans.
- Determine OKRs, project planning & resource requirements to accomplish projects & support customers.
- Oversee the development, implementation & execution of multiple projects ensuring scope & schedule are established for projects; oversee operating plan & resource allocation for the department, including prioritization & staff deployment; act based on changes in priorities.
- Formulate & execute process & organizational improvement direction & programs which enhance overall effectiveness; proactively seek ways to improve human resource & other management processes.
- Weigh in on key technical & managerial decisions for the team.
- Have 8+ years of proven industry experience, with 3+ years of experience leading engineering teams
- Possess strong written & verbal communication skills
- Understand how to diagnose & shift culture & organizational processes, including software development practices & career growth management
- Be comfortable managing many work streams, & coordinating resources & prioritizing work across teams & products
- Be comfortable interfacing with senior management & executives, including assessing & communicating risk
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.