Epic is a member of Vox Media Studios, & longform, narrative journalism is at the core of everything we do. You know that feeling you get when a good true-life tale grabs you right from the start? That is the kind of story we like to tell. Our writers travel the world searching for emotional encounters. Wartime romance, barrier-smashing race car drivers, & social justice crusaders: stories that tap into the meaning of being alive. And our stories get noticed.
Telling amazing, true stories is Epics heart & soul, & we are currently looking for a strong writer & creative storyteller to provide research & writing support for Epic. The Research Assistant will be responsible for providing journalistic-quality research support for long-form articles written at Epic Magazine, with a particular focus on supporting the work created by Epic Co-Founder Josh Bearman. This role will also have occasional opportunities to provide research support for podcast & film & tv projects. The ideal person is an aspiring journalist & a natural born storyteller, who is endlessly curious & has good instincts for what makes a story great.
What you'll do:
- Provide journalistic-quality research for long-form articles written at Epic Magazine, including archival research, locating & interviewing subjects, & other forms of reporting.
- Provide research support to podcasts & film & tv projects as needed.
- Write original content that supports Epics creative work - research packets, bibliographies, pitch copy, newsletter/social media copy, etc.
- Assist with logistics related to these projects, including locating & contacting subjects, setting meetings, & other administrative duties as needed.
- Collect & manage research/bibliographies for projects.
What you'll bring:
- Experience in journalistic writing & research, including but not limited to using LexisNexis & other databases, interviewing subjects, & writing for journalistic outlets.
- Beyond excellent communication skills
- Ability to function independently & in a team environment
- Self-motivated, with an ability to anticipate project needs, set deadlines & prioritize (even if those details arent explicitly outlined in the original assignment); comfortable with asking for help/clarification when needed
- Strong creative & storytelling sensibility, as well as the ability to adapt writing style to the Epic creative voice or other editorial voices as needed
- Flexible about assuming different roles on different projects - Epic staff rotate between being project managers & team members, depending on the project, staff availability, & staff interest.
- Comfortable pivoting & adapting quickly to changes in assignments & priorities
- BA or MA in Journalism is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Experience on an editorial staff is a plus, but not a requirement.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
More about Vox Media:
Vox Medias portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.