Company Description|Job Description
Based in Montreal, Behaviour Interactive is one of the largest independent game developers in North America. Anchored in the industry for more than 25 years now, its success is characterized by its versatility to create games based on leading brands, but also original IP's across all major platforms. Behaviour is a Canadian company with an entrepreneurial culture that promotes opportunities & personal development at the same time that giving their employees the feeling of making a difference.
You are the glue that binds it all together. You expand on & systemize the core principles of the game. Your designs are created while staying aware of the technology & the brand in the context of accessible & competitive games. Your goal: produce an outstanding & unforgettable player experience that keeps players excited & viewers engaged. You are also responsible for ensuring that the development team clearly understands the various systems in place & how they impact their respective area of expertise.
The Game Systems Designerreports to the Creative Director. They are expected to receive & address feedback from (among others) the Creative Director, the lead game designer, the producer, product manager & other parts of the studio direction.
- Design, iterate & optimize the various game's systems into a cohesive & accessible whole;
- Provide design vision & documentation relevant to every system in the game;
- Build data structures & game systems, & balance them during the whole life of the game;
- Create & maintain simulation tools for balancing, tuning & adapting the game's variables & playable characters;
- Balance game systems based on internal & player feedback;
- Develop user profiles & play patterns for improved acquisition & retention strategies;
- Tie into the game's economy, plan player progressions, & ensure data consistency of individual progressions through live updates;
- Cooperate with Level Designers to further enhance the player experience;
- Search for & share solutions to address client & community feedback.
- 5+ years of experience with 3+ years as a systems designer in the video game industry;
- Keep abreast of current trends in gameplay & game systems with a strong interest in competitive team games;
- Passionate about games & best practices for games as a service;
- Proficient with Unreal 4.X & Blueprints for scripting & testing purposes;
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel simulations & predictive calculations (analytical competencies & data modelling);
- Able to communicate knowledge & ideas (flowcharts, feature specs, data reports, etc.) to team members;
- Ability to sift through data & come to meaningful conclusions;
- Excellent communication skills, both written & verbal (fluent in English);
- Involved in the pre-production, production & post-production phases of at least 3 published games.
- Experience in an established studio in the gaming industry is a big asset;
- Experience developing on multiple platforms (console, PC, & mobile) a plus;
- Versed in various scripting languages (Lua, Python, Perl, etc.) to help data simulation;
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a relevant field to systems design;
- Experience in data analytics & game telemetry.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.