The Director, Merchandise Planning is responsible for driving overall sales, profitability, & turnover through accurate sales forecasting & product planning across all channels of distribution. The Director will oversee the open-to-buy process & influence other strategic initiatives including breadth of product assortment, lead time reductions, capacity planning, & warehousing strategy. The Director will also drive the continuing development & use of business intelligence & systems to further automate planning processes & improve Poppins insight & reporting for internal & external stakeholders.
- Oversee development & management of monthly Open to Buy in terms of sales, margin, inventory levels, & turnover
- Create appropriate inventory goals by category & use these goals to inform the Open to Buy & receipt plans in partnership with Finance
- Oversee product buys & merchandise flow to maximize sales & turnover while balancing vendor manufacturing minimums/capacities, tiered costing thresholds, & warehouse storage
- Identify opportunities to maximize Poppins profit & inventory turns by optimizing reorder quantities & frequency
- Own the bottoms up SKU forecasting process for the company
- Analyze SKU performance & recommend product extension opportunities or exit strategies as appropriate
- Define & gain alignment from internal stakeholders on target in-stock percentages, including establishing tiered prioritization & safety stock targets on key items
- Regularly review & report on performance against targets & adjust targets as needed
- Develop strong working relationships with Planning counterparts at key Wholesale accounts
- Manage & coach Wholesale Planner to continue improving forecasting methodology & identifying process improvements to minimize risk of out of stock or overstock situations
- Develop strong working relationships with B2B Sales Managers
- Manage & coach Direct Planner to continue improving forecasting methodology & identifying process improvements to minimize risk of out of stock or overstock situations
- Partner with US Operations + Logistics team to provide regular forecasts on inbound receipts & outbound shipments & other ad hoc analyses
- Partner with China Operations team to provide regular forecasts on upcoming order flow, communicate issues with PO placement & execution, & develop strategies to improve lead times
- Partner with Finance to report on aging inventory & with Sales teams to develop promotional & sales outreach strategies to push through excess overstock
- Partner with Technology team to implement short-term wins & longer-term technology needed to support planning organization
- Lead ad hoc department projects & analyses to improve systems & drive greater reporting insight
- Provide weekly reporting to Poppin leadership & cross-functional partners on key inventory metrics
- Manage a team of 2 Planners & 1 Assistant Planner
- Determine/allocate department priorities among team members to maximize the performance of the Planning function & provide ongoing feedback to drive team member development
- A minimum of a Bachelors degree or equivalent experience required
- 8+ years Merchandise Planning experience in a fast-paced environment
- Prior experience managing/coaching direct reports, assessing talent, & building teams
- Outstanding analytical & quantitative skills; familiarity with Netsuite is a plus
- Demonstrated results orientation & sense of urgency to drive business & process improvements
- Omni-channel experience and/or exposure to both direct-to-consumer retail & wholesale planning preferred
- Excellent communication/influence skills & ability to forge effective cross-functional relationships
- High cultural fit with Poppins positive, collaborative work-happy attitude required
We believe that outfitting your office should be easythat's why weve reimagined the way people shop for their workspace. By eliminating middlemen, weve created a complete collection of commercial-grade office furniture & supplies while lowering prices & reducing delivery times. From startups to Fortune 500 companies, businesses rely on Poppin for complete workspace solutions to help build their brand & culture.
Recognized by Crains as one of NYs fastest-growing businesses, we have furniture showrooms in New York, San Francisco, & Los Angeles, Boston, Washington D.C. & will have two more locations by the end of 2019. Our award-winning products are used in over 20,000 offices & sold in 3,000 retail locations nationwide.
Work happy isn't just our tagline, it's our ethos. We offer our team a mix of traditional & unconventional perks, & pride ourselves on providing top-notch benefits.