At Databricks, we are obsessed with enabling data teams to solve the worlds toughest problems, from security threat detection to cancer drug development. We do this by building & running the worlds best data & AI infrastructure platform, so our customers can focus on the high value challenges that are core to their own missions.
Founded in 2013 by the original creators of Apache Spark, Databricks has grown from a tiny corner office in Berkeley, CA to a global organization with over 1000 employees. Thousands of organizations, from small to Fortune 100, trust Databricks with their mission-critical workloads, making us one of the fastest growing SaaS companies in the world.
On the engineering side, we are well known for attracting the best engineers in Silicon Valley. Our teams build highly technical products that fulfill real, important needs in the world. We are constantly pushing the boundaries of technologies, but at the same time we wont shy away from the grunt work that is critical in making sure our customers are successful on our platform.
To continue scaling the business, we are establishing a major engineering center in Toronto. As a first step, we are looking for a few engineering managers/directors & senior engineers to form the Toronto founding team!
As a founding member of our Canadian R&D center, you will be critical in growing the new Toronto engineering center to a major, high functioning R&D organization for Databricks.
The SQL & BI Service team in Toronto will drive the design & implementation of a new scalable, low-latency, & high-concurrency SQL product, enabling business intelligence tools to work seamlessly & efficiently with Databricks.
- Collaborate closely with our ISV partners & with engineering & product teams in San Francisco & Toronto in the development cycle.
- Be responsible for full software development lifecycle - design, development, testing, & operating in production.
- Architect solutions to achieve a high level of reliability, scalability & security.
- Roll up the sleeves & implement major functionalities.
- Evangelize & uphold our cultural principles: be customer obsessed, let the data decide, teamwork makes the dreamwork, & own it.
- BS in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years of production level experience in one of: Java, Scala, or C++.
- Excellent problem analysis & solving skills.
- Excellent communication & teamwork.
- Experience in architecting, developing, deploying, & operating large scale distributed systems.
- Comfortable with low level performance optimizations, e.g. tweaking bits, measuring network latency.
- Optional but preferred: Experience designing & implementing database internals.
- Optional but preferred: Experience with cloud technologies, e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP, Docker, Kubernetes.
- Top of the market compensation
- Unlimited paid time off
- Free lunch
- Employee referral bonus program
- Awesome coworkers
- Medical, dental, vision
- Maternity & paternity plan