Thrillist is looking for an Art Director to bring their visual magic to our creative team. The Creative Team at Thrillist develops the design, style & spirit of every Thrillist-led initiative across editorial, photo, social, video, & experiences. Your role would be the second in command to the Creative Director, overseeing all editorial art direction, mentoring junior staff & driving the creative vision forward. You are a hawkeye for detail, typography obsessee, & passionate about palettes. You understand brand building for a publication, but can also think beyond the article. You are digitally focused & have worked on websites, video & social campaigns; & also have some experience in print or experiential design. Most importantly, you love culture! Learning about the latest in food, drink, & travel & understanding the cultural context & impact behind these trends inspires you. You are not just a designer, you are visual storyteller.
The Art Director will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nines values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close & Win Together.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Work with editors to bring their stories to life through innovative artwork that takes advantage of the platform
- Build custom editorial experiences for key tentpoles & franchises
- Work closely with the director of photography to style shoots & utilize photos in media
- Oversee graphic designers creating day to day article art
- Track sponsored editorial campaigns which include article & promotional art
- Find & hire freelancers when necessary to support projects
- Contribute to the brands overall aesthetic style
- Work with the creative director on experiences, merch, & key events
- Work closely with the product & tech teams to create new tools, tech & site updates that constantly improve Thrillist
- Inspire the world to eat, drink, & travel like a pro
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Strong relationships with Thrillist editors, social media team & video producers
- Being a source of endless inspiration for other members of the creative team
- Ability to build a cohesive, yet wide-ranging brand aesthetic
- Working relationships with freelancers & program vendors
- Always learning about new programs that can expand our creative options
- Timely production of art for all projects
- Ability to take meetings independently & report back to creative director with recommendations
- Ability to identify designers strengths & maximize them
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a design-based role. Publishing, digital media or agency experience preferred
- Mastery of most creative suite programs
- Some motion graphics ability required
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving attitude
- Appreciation for food drink, travel & culture
Why Work at Group Nine:
We are committed to diversity, equity & inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I & executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Weve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support & meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer & religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink & travel brand for Gen Z & Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences & long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world & celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR & Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.