Here at Appian, were passionate about technology. We love making it, & we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration & is committed to personal & professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, & in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
As a Product Security Engineer, your mission is to ensure that our customers can trust our platform with their most sensitive business processes & data. You will play an important role in defining & implementing strategic, technical, & operational objectives of the Product Security program at Appian. You will help establish industry-leading security processes & practices at each phase of the software development lifecycle; design, implement, & review the security features of our platform; assist product management with the prioritization of critical security-related activities; organize educational initiatives & materials.
To be successful in this role, you need:
- Be part of a cross-organizational squad responsible for the development & maintenance of Appians Product Security program
- Develop processes & automation for security reviews & testing activities, & evaluate application security tools to improve our detection & prevention capabilities
- Mature Appians DevSecOps pipeline by modifying & improving the existing current tooling
- Participate in functional & technical initiation & design activities to incorporate effective threat modeling, security standards, & best practices into product design
- Perform web & mobile penetration testing as well as secure code review
- Assist in implementing an engineering-wide Security Champions program
- Expand the Appian Bug Bounty program & increase researcher engagement
- Assist in managing the Appian 3rd party assessor relationship
- Build & improve processes on the Product Security Engineering squad
- Help lay out the security architecture & operational roadmap for the Appian platform & our Engineering organization
- Participate in strategic activities to evangelize security objectives & ensure their appropriate consideration in product & operational planning
- Provide cloud native security oversight to Appian
- Research enterprise security & privacy standards & best-practices to ensure we apply them in our application security design & remediation processes, justifying departures & innovations to them where appropriate
- Educate team members & all engineers on application security standards & best practices, establishing regular educational activities, as well as recommending & attending appropriate training & conferences
- Assist in our vulnerability remediation efforts by establishing effective triaging of bug findings & security scans, coordinating Engineerings response, & guiding teams through the implementation of fixes
- Report & escalate urgent threats/issues to Engineering leadership
- Contribute to Appian's long-term documentation through publishing relevant, high-quality content to Engineering's technical documentation site
Some of the tools & resources we will equip you with include:
- An on-boarding program that will provide hands-on experience with our platform, & the processes & technologies we use in the Engineering department.
- Personal Indie Time (dedicated time to build whatever you want with whomever you want) & annual hackathons that provide opportunities for growth & leadership, which are activities that inspire others & get creative juices flowing.
- Appian has a large engineering team where you are made to feel autonomous by our engineering business group model. Working within an agile team allows our engineers & leaders to have a sense of community & accomplishment.
- Preferred Experience Level: B.S. / M.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related experience.
- 1-2+ years of work experience in an application/product security role working with engineering teams
- Strong understanding of:
- Engineering security products & services
- Secure code review & penetration testing
- Familiarity with Application Security tooling
- Software security architecture
- Cloud & cloud native security
- Implementation & enhancement of DevSecOps
Appian helps organizations build apps & workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, & data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources & improve business results. Many of the worlds largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, & simplify global risk management & compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers & throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth & opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate & our employees are to thank for Appians success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their coworker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com & let us know the nature of your request & your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.