Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Manager to join our Reinsurance Accounting team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
We are seeking a highly motivated Reinsurance Manager who will own reinsurance accounting & build a working relationship with our reinsurance vendors. The Reinsurance Manager reports to the Senior Manager, Financial Operations & will run point on reinsurance accounting/operations day-to-day.
What is this position?
You will be responsible for reinsurance accounting, including the monthly reinsurance calculations/workbook, reconciling underlying underwriting data utilized in the calculations & ultimate communication of actual reinsurance results. You are an agile thinker & effective communicator with the ability to manage & prioritize an evolving workload in a fast-paced environment to drive results independently & work collaboratively with the greater cross-functional team.The role requires someone dedicated to the continuous improvement of existing processes, technology solutions & documentation. The ideal candidate will be a team player with a highly analytical mindset, strong work ethic, extreme attention to detail with a desire to provide quality service to internal & external stakeholders & help build a best in class reinsurance function.
In the first four months:
- Review our current reinsurance agreements & take ownership of both the reinsurance relationship (from an Accounting perspective) & ensure accurate reinsurance accounting & timely settlement of balances
- Partner with our external consultants to resolve known underlying data issues that directly impact reinsurance calculations
- Assist with various underwriting projects, as they arise, time permitting
- 5-7 years of experience, including a combination of a large accounting firm & public/private accounting experience
- BA/BS degree in accounting or related field
- Reinsurance accounting experience and/or desire to manage reinsurance accounting
- Experience at an enterprise using the Netsuite GL system
We think it will make a big (positive) difference if you have:
- Experience working at a startup
- Worked with our other current platforms: Adaptive, BigQuery
- Statutory accounting experience at a Health Insurance Company
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.