Nextdoor is where neighbors turn for trusted connections & the exchange of helpful information, goods, & services. Nextdoors purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, & the reality that neighborhoods are one of the most important & useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for Nextdoor. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in neighborhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia & Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
As an Android Senior Software Engineer at Nextdoor, youll join a fast moving team of developers, product managers, & designers who are passionate about using technology to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighbor they can rely on.
The Nextdoor Android team works on features & infrastructure to deliver our values to our members. We care about making an incredible Android app that respects platform conventions & is delightful to use. Were always trying to move faster & more safely, by adopting the latest practices, such as Kotlin, MVI & GraphQL.
The Impact Youll Make
We believe in empowering our teams to own all aspects of bringing Nextdoor to life. As such, youll get the opportunity to make key contributions across our Android stack - this includes developing & improving our networking, analytics, experiments, modular app structure, & testing infrastructure - in addition to making direct contributions to Nextdoors product.
We believe engineers should have a stake over all aspects of the product - from coming up with the next big ideas to build, through helping set expectations & plan roadmaps, all the way through understanding the impact of new features through rigorous data analysis. As your career at Nextdoor develops, youll also get the chance to mentor other team members, & grow your role towards what youre most passionate about.
What Youll Bring to The House
- 5+ years of experience as an Engineer.
- Youve been building Android apps long enough to remember hitting the DEX Limit.
- You crave enchanting Nextdoors users with delightful, polished & bug-free features, but you know how to ship consistently & quickly.
- Desire to mentor junior engineers & enthusiastic about up-leveling our engineering culture.
- Strong self-motivation & flexibility with excitement to improve any part of the app, from the fragment transitions to the analytics framework.
- You make a point to test your obviously bug-free code with frameworks like JUnit, Mockito, & Espresso - just to be safe.
- Passionate about Nextdoors mission & being a good neighbor.
- Expertise in Kotlin & leveraging its features to increase the safety & clarity of our codebase.
- Familiar with modern networking stack, such as OkHttp, Retrofit, & GraphQL.
- Passion for UI architecture best practices such as MVI & libraries including RxJava, MvRx, & Epoxy.
- Familiar with architecting a large app for efficient modularization & dependency injection via Dagger & Gradle.
- You think the only real Android phones are Pixels.
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the customers we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.