Senior Software Engineer, Forwarding Applications
Build the first modern logistics platform
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, & disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Forwarding Applications engineering
The Forwarding Applications team is responsible for building the software that freight forwarders use to move goods around the world. We study the work that people do in freight forwarding, develop software & processes to standardize it & make it more efficient, & ultimately automate much of it. We work with product, design, & data teams to solve problems of work allocation & optimization. High-quality software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport youll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Work closely with business partners & product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Take point on complex product initiatives & run them to completion with minimal supervision.
- Design flexible, maintainable code
- Safeguard code quality on your team, reviewing others code with an eye to performance & maintainability.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to execute against the vision & roadmap
- Work closely with designers & product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code into production multiple times a day.
- Geek out about shipping & logistics. (We do this often.)
You should have:
- 5+ years of experience writing software & a strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend & hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers, & engineers alike.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing & operational issues.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, & operations.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite & Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, & test our application with Jest. On the backend, were in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java & Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres & Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.