Harrys started in 2013 with a specific goal: disrupt the shaving industry by creating an innovative, everyday product at a fair price. Since then, Harrys has expanded to Canada & Europe, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, launched two new brands including Flamingo & Cat Person, & made our first brand acquisition with Lum.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, the Harrys team is composed of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 5 or 500, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback.
Harrys is operating as a hybrid-first environment - for us, that means that we ask folks to come into our beautiful, 88,000 square foot SoHo office a minimum of 2 days per week, with flexibility to choose exactly which days work best for you. What will you get out of that? Bagels on Wednesdays & lunch on Thursdays, & fully stocked kitchens with snacks, coffee, & drinks everyday. Cant forget the free products & the opportunity to have some meetings without Zoom (remember what 2019 was like?)
About the Team
The Packaging Engineering Team is responsible for the development & engineering of all aspects of packaging from concept to mass production. The team supports all packaging types including custom & stock packaging (bottles, caps, pumps, jars) & secondary packaging (folding cartons, gift sets) for all products within the Harrys Personal Care brand portfolio. As we continue to expand into new categories, the Packaging team will be an instrumental driver of innovation & brand success.
About the Role:
Consumer packaging is everywhere & in many cases its unavoidable. Packaging can be disappointing, frustrating, wasteful or unremarkable at best. Conversely, it can drive impulse purchase, consumer loyalty/satisfaction, deep brand recognition, & be mindful of its purpose without being excessive or insufficient. Were looking for someone who is passionate about creating overwhelmingly positive experiences for our consumers.
What you will accomplish:
- Bring your passion & enthusiasm for package engineering to work every day
- Research packaging sustainability/innovation/trends & develop packaging components that support new product introductions, promotions & operational initiatives.
- Recommend & own packaging workstreams required to qualify packaging components, tooling, equipment & processes.
- Develop specifications as part of the package development process. Access or create 3D CAD models & 2D engineering drawings to build prototype tools, samples, & approve component structures.
- Work with packaging component suppliers to design for manufacturing, apply robust testing plans to validate the design, & qualify production release in partnership with technical cross functional partners.
- Participate in & drive packaging engineering design reviews.
- Own packaging line trials & test plans. Troubleshoot packaging-related technical issues during development; develop risk mitigation plans & packaging alternatives.
- Work with the Design team to develop color standards & establish production color ranges.
- Bring printing & decorating experience to the process of graphics design, decoration testing, & artwork approval.
- Issue & maintain packaging component specifications, finished goods specifications, & assembly instructions, for production accuracy & scalable success.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with suppliers & internal cross functional partners.
This should describe you:
- Studied/degree in Packaging Engineering and/or studies in mechanical engineering, industrial design, materials & chemical engineering & related fields.BS in Package Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, other related disciplines, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience in the design, testing, & development of new packaging using a range of component manufacturing processes & materials.
- Having knowledge of a variety of material properties & packaging components such as pumps, closures, bottles, tubes, aerosols, folding cartons, gift sets, flexible films & laminations.
- You have a good eye for design & aesthetics, plus experience with decorating techniques & materials used on primary & secondary packaging
- Honest, direct, & ability to articulate & defend technical packaging decisions as well as communicate clearly with cross functional teams.
- Experience creating 2D engineering drawings to define critical dimensions, & using engineering analysis methods such as Tolerance Analysis & Statistical Analysis.
- Proficient in one 3D MCAD package (eg. Artios, Solidworks). TOPS Packaging design software, & familiarity with Kongsberg cutting tables i a plus.
- Extremely organized, dependable & self-motivated with the ability to excel in a hands-on, fast paced environment.
- Life-long learner: You love learning new things & are not afraid to admit when you dont know an answer
- Sense of humor -- we take our work seriously & ourselves un-seriously
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the Director of Packaging
- Working in the Global Technology & Manufacturing (GTAM) team w/ Program Management, Product Development, Product Design Engineering, & Research
- You will work cross functionally with many teams including Operations, Design, Quality, Retail & Brand Marketing.
- Externally, you will work with packaging component suppliers, printing & decorating suppliers, & contract manufacturing & filling sites.
Benefits & perks
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- 401k match
- Equity in Harrys
- Unlimited PTO & flexible working hours
- Wellness & L&D stipends
- One month sabbatical after 5 years
- 16 weeks parental leave
- Fun IRL & virtual events including happy hours, team building events, & parties on our rooftop
- Free products from all of our brands
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together.
Harrys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment & advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire & promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth & related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture & protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state & local laws. Harrys commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline & access to benefits & training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.
We cant quantify all of the intangible things we think youll love about working at Harrys, like the exciting challenges we tackle, the smart & humble team youll get to work with, & our supportive & inclusive culture. That said, our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size & industry, & are one part of our total rewards package, which also includes a comprehensive set of benefits & our equity program. The base salary hiring range for this position is $90,800-$124,850, but the final compensation offer will ultimately be based on the candidates location, skill level & experience.