Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Legal Team
Our legal team is responsible for managing risk across the business while bringing our product & operations to life in a way that is consistent with our mission. We partner with finance, engineering, product, marketing, sales, the people team, operations & more to craft a marketplace that delivers business to our pros while helping millions of customers get their projects done each year. Our job is to enable the companys performance, while balancing the risk in front of us. We are the Road to Yes, not the slippery slope to No.
About the Role
As a Senior Counsel, you will support the Company & partner across the Legal Function, with a personal emphasis on labor & employment, privacy, payments, marketplace risk, & other general issues that the Company encounters. Thumbtack attorneys work on a variety of engaging & challenging legal issues each day & the key to this roles success will be to earn the trust of our business colleagues & provide expeditious, practical legal advice that helps identify & then mitigate risk across our platform.
- Partner with the People Team as the lead Legal contact for HR business partners, operations & on one-off strategic initiatives (some labor & employment law experience necessary)
- Provide guidance to the Legal Team & Business on ever-changing Compliance & Privacy laws, policies, & requirements
- Partner with Communications Team & Head of Government Affairs to advise on applicable regulatory issues--need not be an expert on all regulatory issues, but have some experience & ability to issue spot on critical regulations for Thumbtack
- Work with wide array of business partners ranging from finance, product, sales, marketplace trust & safety or other functional teams to understand issues, assess risk, balance needs of business & give clear, concise, move-forward legal advice
- Help develop a proactive risk mitigation training program with Legal Team to deliver on regular cadence & to a broad spectrum of employees
- Communicate & collaborate effectively across teams & various roles to educate colleagues about business & legal risks while enabling Thumbtacks success
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- J.D. & more than 6 years of legal experience, preferably in both a law firm & an in-house legal department
- Labor & Employment experience
- Strong problem-solving, strategic thinking, & written/verbal communication skills
- Good judgement & ability to balance risk & productivity in a business environment
- Independently motivated, while collaborative in execution
- Ability & openness to receive constructive feedback & act on same
- Several years of in-house legal experience
- Generalist knowledge of privacy laws, payments in a marketplace environment, & IPO readiness processes
- Willingness to learn new areas of law & triage issues with which youre not familiar
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.