Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building high-performing teams & creating experiences that your peers will love.
The billing team at DigitalOcean focuses on keeping billing as simple, correct, & transparent as possible. We support a variety of complex billing models & financial instruments, such as discounts, free trials, & credits. We serve a passionate developer community that has grown to love our straightforward, easy to understand pricing that removes one more obstacle as they create & run their software in the cloud.
As a software engineer within the Billing Engineering Team you will be responsible for thinking about how to deal with complex billing information to create straightforward billing workflows for customers, as well as meet all compliance requirements. You will work with teams across DigitalOcean to develop billing solutions for new products & will be responsible for ensuring our systems scale & perform to meet the needs of DigitalOceans expanding business & customer base.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Designing, writing & running the systems that provide an intuitive experience for developers as they engage DigitalOcean products & services
- Working with other engineers to build performant systems, that take into account testing, monitoring, alerting, compliance, to build pipelines & deploy to multiple systems
- Collaborating with other teams on how we can improve our systems to provide better visibility into dependencies
- Researching emerging tools, trends & methodologies & enhancing existing systems & processes to use them
- Working with interesting technologies such as Go, Ruby, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, Sentry, Prometheus, & more
What We'll Expect From You:
- A good concept of scale & a desire to help create & run highly reliable & performant distributed services
- A healthy respect for tests, & their relationship with distributed architectures & continuous integration
- An ability to work at multiple levels of the stack
- A fluent Linux shell user with good understanding of Linux operating systems
- Proficiency with the use of datastores like MySQL, Postgres and/or Redis
- Proficiency with REST & gRPC APIs
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Go, Ruby, Python or Java
- Experience with logging/metrics tools, Docker, pub/sub event systems like Kafka, etc
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- **This position may be located in NYC or Remote (but not in CO due to local CO job posting requirements)
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!