Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Planetary Variables Team is looking for a software engineer to help us in our mission to make global change visible, accessible & actionable. The team is responsible for development & production of products built on top of Planet satellite data as well as public datasets. The products we produce are for our clients as well as public datasets for the scientific community.
In this role you will be working in a cross functional team to develop Planetary Variables like soil moisture or biomass proxy. Together with the team you will make sure that the products we deliver to our customers are scalable, well monitored & appropriate for the use cases we target. You will also be working within a larger software development team that cuts across all Planetary Variables.
Impact Youll Own:
- Reliability & scalability of one of our derived products processing chains
- Work with the product development team to engineer, deploy & scale new products & product versions
- Contribute to the product roadmap & inform technical direction of the product processing chain
What You Bring:
- Strong Python programming skills in a Linux environment
- Experience working with relational databases, preferably Postgres
- Familiarity with CI/CD concepts & workflows
- Experience working on Cloud Platforms - preferably Google Cloud
- 3+ years industry experience
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Familiarity with common geospatial data formats & PostGIS
- Experience with the Scientific Python Stack, numpy, scipy, pandas
- Experience with Cython or C/C++ for speeding up Python code when needed
- Familiarity with Kubernetes & Docker
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays & regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment & flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks & meet up events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing safe & empowering spaces for connection & mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.