Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
As the Creative Director, you will play an important role in pursuing the Codecademy mission, helping us reach & educate people all over the world by sharing the Codecademy story; along the way building our user base & driving membership.
To accomplish this, you will lead the Marketing Creative function, improving upon our current approach & toolset, ensuring creative continuity & brand consistency, & stretching us into new territory. Developing our internal team is a priority, though the ability to leverage external resources is important as well. This role crosses the entirety of Codecademy, comprising both B2C & B2B responsibilities.
The successful candidate will implicitly understand the importance of conveying a brand consistently, communicating on an emotional level across many different formats & media, & embrace the notion of taking the brand to new places, all the while maintaining our brand essence. Of equal importance is the ability to iteratively improve our production operation to unlock scale & efficiency.
This role reports to the VP of Marketing.
WHAT YOULL DO
- Take our existing Creative practice to the next level - identifying opportunities to expand the breadth of our creative, taking a brand led approach to engage audiences & ensure excellence across all Codecademy creative assets
- Develop a Creative culture to foster strategic thinking, inspired content & individual development
- Define what great looks like for Marketing Creative - identifying & communicating our aspirations & benchmarks for greatness
- Maintain consistent brand voice, expression, & visual styles in all deliverables
- Guide creative to ensure work aligns with Design patterns & standards
- Offer leadership & contribute to the overall Marketing strategy & plan(s)
- Encourage & enable the team to excel in the quality, efficacy & volume of their work
- Collaborate with leaders of other functions, including Design, Product Marketing, Marketing Channel Owners, Product Owners, & others
- Manage the day-to-day creative process & production
- Develop annual, quarterly, & sprint level plans to ensure work is focused on the most important activities & aligned to our capacity
- Build scalable end-to-end work flows for creative, ensuring delivery is aligned to design standards, on-time, within budget, & meets/exceed stakeholder expectations
- Identify signals to create feedback loops that inform the efficacy of various message, design, & art direction techniques
- Determine creative team people resources, including hiring, freelancers, agencies & production partners
- Ensure effective Creative tools & devices that sync with our Design & Product teams
- Provide regular communication ensure transparency & ensure shared expectations across stakeholders
- Mentor & develop Creative team members to build the people, team & company of the future
WHAT YOULL NEED
- 10+ years of expertise in creative & production management in a creative agency and/or client side creative team
- Must have at least 2 years of experience in-house on the client side
- Expert knowledge of creative engagement processes (ie, working with creative briefs, setting realistic turnaround times for creative projects, developing & maintaining standards for brand & communication)
- Experience selecting & managing agency partners
- Extensive experience across digital media formats & experiences, experience in traditional media including TV is helpful
- Experience tracking projects in collaborative tools (Asana, Smartsheet, Jira, Trello, etc)
- Experience working with cross-functional teams & departments
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- Business judgment; strategic & analytical capabilities
- Ability to prioritize & multitask, managing multiple projects with tight timelines
- A team oriented mindset, an ability to relate to others & develop effective working relationships
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Experience working with international expansion
- B2C and B2B marketing experience
- Experience in working in Agile
- Digital business, subscription marketing and/or education category experience
- Interest in coding or passion for empowering others through coding education is a plus
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.