Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that combines engaging, leveled content with integrated formative assessments & insights to supercharge engagement & learning in every subject. Students & teachers use Newsela to find digital content from hundreds of the best sourcesfrom National Geographic to NASA, Biography.com to Encyclopedia Britannica, the Washington Post to the Wichita Eagle. Content is instructionalized to meet students where they are, with interactive tools & analytics to take them where they want to go. Newsela has become an essential solution for schools & districts, with a presence in over 90% of U.S. K-12 schools. Newsela is the content platform for the connected classroom.
Developers at Newsela work on big problems in literacy education, from building the infrastructure necessary to handle tens of millions of users to solving novel problems in text complexity & personalization. As a Lead Developer, you will be responsible for the technical roadmap in your space, work closely with external partners, & provide technical leadership for a team of engineers.
We believe that code is communication & we care deeply about the relationships developers have with each other & the company as a whole. Developers work closely with product managers, designers, & domain experts to build software thats beautiful & useful. If you love working on features that make a real difference, this role is for you.
- Lead a small, successful team of engineers who make sure our students & teachers have access to the best possible content for their classrooms.
- Write thoughtful, literate code & build the skills of those around you.
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to translate business goals into concrete tasks.
- Maintain a technical roadmap & a stable backlog of meaningful work.
- Handle often competing priorities through good time management & communication.
The Ideal Candidate
- Over 6 years of professional web application development experience.
- At least 1 year of leadership experience (any of people management, process management, or technical direction).
- Demonstrated contributions to complex, high-traffic, performance-optimized web applications.
- Bachelors degree in a technical discipline.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience working in education.
- An eye for interaction design, user experience, & finishing touches.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.