Who We Are
One third of the worlds food goes to waste. Which means all the water, energy, & greenhouse gases used to produce that food is wasted with it. This is a problem with a $990 billion price tag for the food industry & an even bigger one for the planet. But we believe the solution is simple.
What if we could eliminate waste by better balancing the supply & demand of food?
Zume uses predictive analytics & real-time food consumption data to predict customer demand, match it with production, & enable food companies to make smarter decisions across the food supply chain.
By connecting all the pieces of the food supply chain, we enable our partners to make better decisions for their business, their customers, & the planet we all call home.
Were tackling some of the worlds biggest problems, & we need your help to solve them. If you want to take on something different in your career, wed love to meet you.
Zume Source Packaging is looking for a strong material science leader who will be specifically focused on formulating & testing the next generation of fiber formulations. The right candidate for this role will have a material science background in the pulp & paper industry & be highly skilled, highly self-motivated & highly passionate about forming the innovation pipeline for our molded fiber products. In this role, you will work closely with our R&D, Revenue & Production teams to develop, plan, & execute Zumes mission-critical initiatives in material formulation. By joining the early stages of our hyper-growth organization, youll play an integral part in building the future of our packaging division.
What You'll Do
Materials & Process Development
- Research, develop & implement material enhancements that reduce costs or increase functionality
- Identify, evaluate & introduce material additives that can be developed into recipes to improve product quality & reduce cost of production
- Identify & implement new material technologies that will increase throughput while eliminating non value-added manufacturing costs
- Keep abreast of new materials or technologies that may have an application
- Ensure all formulations meet the goal of compostability
Operations & Manufacturing Support
- Collaborate with Manufacturing to establish process parameters & blends for various feedstocks with improved throughput & yield
- Provide assistance in certifications to convert non-food grade product to food grade product
- Support the Quality function in establishing robust processes & appropriate standards to test new incoming materials
- Engage technical talent to collaborate & work in partnership to achieve desired results
- Support ongoing efforts to facilitate the transfer of technology globally
Who You Are
- Strong knowledge of pulp & paper manufacturing processes, materials & equipment
- Strong project management skills; excellent organizational skills with ability to focus on details
- Logical & creative thinker; excellent problem-solving skills
- Capable of effective communication, both oral & written
- Results orientation; energetic; demonstrates ownership
- Inquisitive mind; actively keeps abreast of new & developing technologies inside & outside of the industry
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative business solutions; good judgment & decision-making process
- Ability to travel, including extended trips as needed
- 15 years of progressively responsible work experience with at least 5+ years in pulp & paper materials development and/or process disciplines
- 5-7 years of leadership experience (managing teams reporting to you)
- Proven track record in materials & technology development & deployment
- BS in Mechanical, Chemical or Material Engineering or similar field; Masters / PhD. degree in technical area preferred.
What We Offer
- 100% company-paid Medical, Dental, & Vision for you & 75% for your dependents
- Flexible Time Off
- Daily catered lunch
- The opportunity to work with an incredibly supportive team of thinkers & innovators
Zume provides equal employment opportunityto all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.