CB Insights has millions of readers, hundreds of thousands of prospects & tens of thousands of paying users. That generates a lot of data ranging from organic databases to Salesforce to Hubspot to many others.
Through a deliberate strategy to grow business intelligence capabilities at CB Insights, we hope to achieve a few key results:
- Establish cohesion & transparency by establishing a single source of truth
- Provide capabilities & expertise to business units so that they can use BI systems for their everyday decisions
- Unlock new opportunities for growth in the business through data
While BI at CB Insights is very much a nascent discipline, the infrastructure exists. It includes Looker as the BI layer which sits on top of Redshift with Segment as the underlying ETL. The time is right for you, an experienced BI expert, to help us achieve the above goals.
You will be a part of engineering, reporting to a head of data science, with frequent & close interaction across all teams. We are seeking a BI technologist who can be a strategic thought-partner to the business.
- Work with stakeholders & product teams to understand requirements & ensure metrics support data-driven decision making. Democratize data access
- Collect, & analyze operational & technical requirements for multifunctional projects
- Scope, & address ad-hoc requests from the users across CBI.
- Architect a company-wide data warehouse, creating a clean data model encompassing data from multiple sources by setting up additional ETL pipelines
- Support & develop LookML buildout, providing guidance on best practices & approving major releases of LookML code, Refactor existing code to improve its efficiency & readability
- Provide access to users across the company & make it easy for them to get their data questions answered
- Collaborate with our engineering team to understand & implement any changes to data architecture & design
- Ensure comprehensive event tracking
- Maintain Looker instance
- Serve as the technical contact for the BI stack
- Establish, maintain & document high data quality standards in our core data pipelines, datasets & databases.
- Investigate & address data anomalies & process gaps to troubleshoot data inconsistencies; implement solutions
- Ensure compliance with all applicable data privacy regulations & policies as they relate to both firm & client/contact data.
- Develop ongoing, low-maintenance reporting processes to enable users to use Looker independently for their data needs
- Provide user training sessions & ongoing support
- Grow the analytics team at CB Insights, including hiring & training junior staff
- 7+ years of experience in business intelligence
- Must have hands-on experience with Redshift or any other relational cloud-based database.
- Experience launching BI systems to a growing organization a strong plus
- Experience supporting several technical & non-technical users across the organization to raise the analytics maturity of the organization.
- Hands-on experience executing data engineering projects (event tracking, ETL, DWH design).
- Effective at translating business user questions/requests into clear, actionable analysis
- Deep familiarity with key SaaS operating metrics
- Preferably 2+ years hands-on, administrator-level Looker experience (Tableau or Mode experience also acceptable so long as willing to become Looker expert)
- Strong expertise in SQL & data modeling
- Understanding of data architectures, relational & non-relational database concepts, data warehouses, data modeling & application implementations
- Strong analytical fundamentals (requirements gathering, data modeling, data mining, data engineering, metrics & KPI definition, visualization, & presentation)
- Coding experience in Python, shell is a big plus
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving & creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team & encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Perks & Benefits:
Subsidized health, dental, & vision insurance
- 401k with up to 4% match
- $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Daily lunch stipend
Happy, Helpful, Humble, & Hungry: Check out more about our company culture here.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here & you'll be eligible for $5,000!