About the Job
Come join the team that has redefined the retailer vs. supplier relationship. Weve taken a fresh approach in driving partnership & collaboration with our brands. As a result, brands have spoken & Boxed has been recognized as the #1 eCom Retailer to work with for the past 2 years!
Were looking for a motivated, curious, energetic, & fun individual who can work well in a fast paced & dynamic environment. The Private Brand Product Developer will drive the sourcing & supplier selection process, negotiate contracts & costing, & manage dozens of private brand product development projects from concept to product launch & beyond. The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented project manager who has a passion for quality & takes pride in developing the highest-quality food & general merchandise products & selling them at substantial value. This candidate will possess amazing negotiation abilities, partner management skills, project management skills, strong financial acumen, a high degree of ownership & integrity, an extreme attention to detail, a desire to learn, excellent communication skills & be a great team player.
This role will report directly to the Director of Private Brands.
About the Company
Boxed is the easiest & most modern way to shop for bulk goods. As a mobile-first company, customers can shop directly from Boxeds app on their iOS or Android mobile device, or online at www.Boxed.com. With Boxed, customers can have their household, personal care, & pantry favorites delivered conveniently to their home or office.
Our office is a dynamic, collaborative family of individuals. A technology company at our core, we are a vibrant, fun & a close group of engineers, designers, marketers, merchants, & operations specialists with a passion for driving superior value & experience to our customers.
- WE PUT CUSTOMERS FIRST - The goals of the customer are at the heart of what we do. They depend on us to deliver what they need, when they need it, to make their lives better & more productive.
- WE HOLD OURSELVES ACCOUNTABLE - Although weve done it as a team, individual contributions are the foundation on which weve built Boxed & the key to its future successes. That success is entrusted to you. And it shows in our commitment to our clients. And to one another.
- WE ARE DATA DRIVEN ALWAYS - We use data to take action. We arent paralyzed by it. Data & analytics, along with our seasoned, sound judgment, allows us to move fast, measure & (re)iterate).
- WE ARE RESILIENT AND ADAPTIVE - We know, if we arent changing, we arent innovating. If we arent innovating, then were not Boxed. To stay ahead, we must challenge the norm & embrace new ideas as well as our ways of thinking
- WE DO GOOD WELL - We do whats right for people everywhere, through our own innovation, as well as industry best practices. We put whats right before the bottom line. Ignited by our passion, we unlock profitability while doing good for every customer.
- Become a category expert across a broad set of categories of fast moving consumer goods (e.g. grocery, snacks, personal care, household goods, etc.)
- Roll up your sleeves to manage the end-to-end process of product development, from the ideation inception at marketing through to consumer consumption.
- Manage multiple products in different stages
- Negotiate costing, packaging requirements & supplier agreements
- Manage the RFQ process to select great suppliers
- Work with our QA department to select only responsible, best-in-class suppliers
- Manage & deepen supplier relationships
- Manage the manufacturing process to ensure speed to market
- Develop risk mitigation strategies including contingency plans, lead-time reductions & supply chain efficiencies
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams including the branded buying team, finance, marketing, operations & transportation to enhance brand equity, grow category sales, expand margin, & ensure customer satisfaction
- Attend trade shows & identify new products to add to the current offering
- Identify white space assortment & category opportunities that align with company strategies
- Develop an intimate knowledge of the private brand SKUs currently in circulation
- Bachelors Degree with experience in sourcing and/or product development
- CPG & E-commerce experience required, experience with private brand preferred
- Consumer goods focused experience
- Familiarity with developing new supplier relationships & expanding them over time
- Ability to learn & execute in a fast-paced, startup environment
- Self-motivated & eagerness to learn
- Ability to visit the NYC office on a regular cadence post-pandemic & US recovery.
- Deliver 1-2 items to market in the first 6 months, 10-12 items in the first 12 months.
- Must have metrics backed to demonstrate direct impact on the bottom line through supplier negotiations
- East or Central Time Zones
Benefits & Perks:
- Working with smart, positive people
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unlimited vacation
- Full healthcare benefits