Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging & interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about designing & operating secure systems at scale.
We are looking for someone who is familiar with our stack, understands our tools, is comfortable working remote, enjoys working in open source, & is excited about our mission.
At DO, we believe in: Creating simple, yet powerful, foundations (with ) from which our community can build
The Systems Kernel team delivers on this mission by ensuring DigitalOceans operating system is performant, reliable, & secure.
Our Stack: C, Chef, Go, libvirt, Linux, KVM, OVS, QEMU
Our Tools: Concourse, Elasticsearch, GSuite, Jira, Prometheus, Slack
Our Team: The Systems team is currently made up of about two dozen, mostly senior, engineers located across the US, Canada, & Germany with one engineer in the NY office & is supported by a Senior Engineering Manager. The Kernel sub-team, supported by an Engineering Manager, accounts for approximately one-fourth of the Systems team.
What You'll Be Doing:
While work will vary based on quarterly priorities & initiatives, some examples include:
- Scale one of the fastest growing cloud companies in the world
- Triaging & fixing operating system issues impacting the performance, reliability, and/or security of our fleet
- Improve all aspects of reliability, including monitoring, availability, & documentation
- Debug mission critical problems in production
- Design & develop new systems with an emphasis on minimized maintenance requirements, as well as maintain & enhance existing systems
- Systems analysis design & debugging of new systems
- Managing capacity, designing systems architecture & performing technology refreshes
- Participate in production readiness reviews & provide feedback to engineering teams on best practices
- Automate error-prone tasks to drive safety & determinism throughout complex distributed systems
- Provide architecture & scaling guidance where necessary for all engineering teams
- Participating in the customization & optimization of DOs virtualization stack which includes: kernel, kvm, qemu, & libvirt
- 5-20% of your time spent in contributing to open source communities related to Linux kernel development
What We'll Expect From You:
- Linux kernel expertise & upstream contribution
- Note that there we recognize that there are many subsystems in the kernel, & although we would like to have specific expertise in storage-oriented subsystems, we will consider someone with experience in any linux kernel subsystem
- Implementing bug fixes & live patches in the Linux kernel
- Implementing new features in the Linux kernel
- Experience troubleshooting, analyzing, & debugging linux kernel crashes
- Experience as a software engineer / developer in a large scale, distributed environment
- Experience writing secure, testable & robust C code
- Desirable to have exposure to either of Golang or Python languages, but not required
- Understanding of operating systems, virtualization, Linux internals, security & networking
- Some experience proactively addressing software & systems reliability issues across all layers in the stack with the capacity to troubleshoot across network, database, OS & code as needed
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills, with a desire to collaborate with a broad & diverse Systems team
- An aim to design & build large, distributed systems
- A dedication to solving problems & delivering solutions
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
**This position may be located in NYC or Remote (but not in CO due to local CO job posting requirements)
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!