Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about helping developers build & deploy real-world applications.
We are looking for a passionate, results-oriented, & motivated self-starter to join the Product team to collaborate on our product documentation efforts for Compute, Storage, Network, & Developer Tools products, & services. Reporting to the Technical Writing Manager, the Technical Writer will work across the organization to produce product documentation & set standards across the team.
The reward? You will get to work with a team of high-energy & dedicated product managers, designers & engineers to impact the lives of developers by simplifying innovation for them. This role is a great opportunity for someone with a technical background who is interested in teaching & communicating how our products work in a simple & clear way. You should be highly collaborative, enthusiastic about helping others, & able communicate clearly in a variety of contexts (one-on-one, small groups, email, tutorials, etc). In joining our team, you'll enjoy a competitive salary, great benefits, a creative & comfortable work environment, & the exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced & growing technology company.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Verifying & explaining the technical functionality of in-progress & release-ready cloud-based products.
- Collaborating with product design, engineering, product management, & product marketing to create user-focused documentation for novice & experienced software developers.
- Reviewing other team members' writing.
- Maintaining existing documentation as changes are introduced to existing products.
- Editing content written by product managers, support advocates, & engineers.
- Publishing content written in markdown & Hugo, reviewed on GitHub.
- Continually improving the writing team's content, style, & processes.
What Well Expect From You:
- Strong written & verbal English communication skills.
- Strong research skills & the ability to pick up new technical concepts quickly.
- The ability to give & receive feedback to arrive at the best possible experience for users.
- A portfolio of published writing for a technical audience on cloud computing or related concepts (can be professional or personal work).
- Experience with software version control & ability to use a Git-based workflow for writing collaboration.
- Experience with:
- The Linux command line
- Installation & configuration a variety of web applications from the command line
- Documentation of in-process software
- Writing content in markdown
- Experience working remotely or collaborating from an office with remote teams
- Excellent organizational skills & time management
- Bonus experiences include:
- Professional experience with requirements gathering & manual or automated acceptance testing
- Experience, in any role, as part of agile & traditional product & engineering teams
- Experience with static site generators (especially Hugo), Atlassian tools, Slack.
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Product team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!