Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper (Casper.com) believes everyone should sleep better. The Sleep Company has a full portfolio of obsessively engineered sleep productsincluding mattresses, pillows, bedding, & furnituredesigned in-house by the Companys award-winning R&D team at Casper Labs. In addition to its e-commerce business, Casper owns & operates Sleep Shops across North America & its products are available at a growing list of retailers.
Casper is seeking a business-oriented & self-motivated commercial lawyer with a minimum of five years of relevant corporate & commercial experience to join its in-house legal team as Director of Legal & Business Affairs. The ideal candidate has a minimum of three years of experience gained at a leading law firm as a corporate associate & additional in-house experience gained at a technology or consumer products company with retail, wholesale & e-commerce. In this position, you will be responsible for leading a variety of corporate & commercial initiatives supporting all areas of Caspers business, & you will have the opportunity to work with executives & functional teams to manage & execute the organizations operational needs & strategic priorities. This position reports directly to the General Counsel & Secretary.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse & inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When youre not catching zzzs, this is what youll do
- Serving as a business partner in support of business units across the company.
- Drafting, reviewing & negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, including marketing, advertising, vendor, supplier, logistics, wholesale, master services, license, SaaS/technology, confidentiality & other operational & commercial agreements.
- Reviewing advertising & marketing materials in all channels, including tv, radio, print, digital, & social media, & corporate blog posts, for FTC compliance, truth-in-advertising laws, disclosures & disclaimers, intellectual property infringement & matters, & rights of publicity.
- Reviewing & drafting contests, sweepstakes, & promotions.
- Working with the Casper IT & Security teams & providing advice & counsel regarding ever-changing privacy laws, data security matters, & the implications thereof for the Casper business.
- Helping to manage the intellectual property portfolio, including trademark registrations, the patent docket, & IP infringement & enforcement matters.
- Assisting the General Counsel in litigation management, employment law matters, corporate governance, equity plans & agreements, & board of directors matters.
- Counseling the business utilizing your sound, practical, & business-oriented judgment to get important initiatives accomplished while managing risk.
- Assisting in the preparation, implementation & refinement of forms, processes & procedures to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks in substantive areas.
- This is a fully remote position open to candidates located anywhere within the United States.
Our dream candidate has...
- Possess 5 - 7 years of relevant corporate & commercial experience with approximately three or more years of experience gained at a leading law firm as a corporate associate & additional in-house experience gained preferably at a technology or consumer products company that includes retail, wholesale & e-commerce.
- Be admitted, active & in good standing with a State bar, New York or California preferred.
- Have strong general commercial contract & advisory skills & experience.
- Have experience with advertising & marketing compliance matters or an interest in developing those skills.
- Have experience advising on the practical implications of the various privacy laws & managing data security matters.
- Have an interest in employment law matters & HR-related issues at a company with retail operations.
- Be proactive, quick, smart & use sound judgment while being able to communicate effectively with all levels of employees & management.
- Have excellent communication (written & verbal) & interpersonal skills.
- Be detail-oriented, organized, efficient, responsive, timely, & resourceful with strong autonomy & follow-through skills.
- Partner with the General Counsel while establishing yourself as his or her trusted advisor & colleague with a can do attitude.
- Take pride in your work & valuable contributions to the business while working in a lean Legal department.
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving utilizing common sense & clear communication.
- Be a strong & business-oriented negotiator with high ethical standards.
- Be intellectually curious & someone who enjoys keeping up with the ever-changing laws that affect the Casper business.
- Be interested in learning all facets of the Casper business with an eye on cross-disciplinary growth & experience in order to position yourself for a future as an in-house general counsel.
- Have fun & enjoy working on a lean Legal team with a diverse, engaged group of Casper employees dedicated to growing & improving the business each day.
The syrup on your waffles
- Participation in our HQ bonus program for some splurging.
- Medical, vision, & dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles)
- Unlimited vacation policy. We believe in the power of rest so take the time you need to recharge.
- Work from Anywhere program where you can work anywhere around the world for up to 4 weeks per year
- A full gifted bed set when you join & product discounts for friends & family!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you!
Pursuant to the Companys COVID-19 mitigation protocols, individuals must show documented proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, subject to applicable state & local laws & legally required exemptions, including a medical condition, disability or sincerely-held religious belief. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to the vaccination requirement in accordance with applicable law.