Data is a big deal at Index Exchange (IX). IXs advertising exchange handles billions of auctions & generates terabytes of auction-related information every day. Our team builds tools & infrastructure to manage this vast amount of data & make it accessible for our customers. Were looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our team, & help build the next generation of big data solutions at Index Exchange with real-time streaming & batch analytical capabilities.
Working with exciting technologies, your team will experiment with new tools & engineer innovative approaches to solve interesting challenges. Things shift very quickly in our industry, & we rely on our Engineering teams to keep IX & our clients ahead of the curve & moving in the right direction. Were looking for Engineers who have experience in an Agile environment, who can drive innovation, & be a technical leader on our team.
Heres what we want:
- Problem Solver: You are curious & love exploring multiple approaches to find the most efficient, scalable solution & solve a problem
- Collaborative: You work well with other people
- Passionate: You have a passion for Big Data & an interest in the latest trends & developments constantly researching new tools & data technologies
- Self-starter: You are comfortable helping your team get things done
- Leadership: You can mentor the team on the design, & implementation of our solutions
Heres what youll be doing:
- Design, implement, & maintain data pipelines for extraction, transformation, & loading of data from a wide variety of data sources to various data services
- Identify, design, & implement system performance improvements
- Identify, design, & implement internal process improvements
- Automate manual processes & optimize data delivery
- Guide & mentor team members
- Identify & assess potential solutions for technical & business suitability
You may or may not tick off every box, & thats ok.Each person brings a different background & different skills. If you think you are a good match for what we are looking for tell us why, & tell us what you are doing to improve yourself & well see what we can do to help!
- Bachelor/Master degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering or related field
- 7+ years of work experience in a software engineering environment
- Experience working in Agile methodologies
- 3+ years of work experience designing & building high performance data applications with Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Hive or other equivalent technologies
- Proficiency in some of the following languages: Scala, Java, Python, Bash
- Deep understanding of design principles of distributed systems & familiar with mainstream big data related technologies & distributed frameworks
- Experience with SQL & NoSQL systems
- Experience with automated testing systems
- Mentorship, collaboration, & communication skills
- Knowledge of data modelling, data warehousing, ETL processes, & business intelligence reporting tools
- Experience optimizing performance with large data sets
- Experience working with CI/CD, containerization, & virtualization tools such as Gitlab, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Docker
Why youll love working here:
- Work out of our downtown Toronto North York Engineering office with easy transit access
- Flexible hours & relaxed dress code
- Excellent family benefits at a family focused company
- Open concept office designed to facilitate communication & collaboration
- Free snacks, drinks, & lunch catered daily
- Annual celebrations (Summer BBQ, Holiday Party, All Hands, Hack Days) & milestone outings
- Full family healthcare benefits, paid vacation, unlimited sick days, 5% RRSP matching, discounted gym memberships & more
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY Index Exchange is an equal opportunity employer who recognizes the value of every person in creating success for our customers, business partners, shareholders, employees & communities. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, developing & promoting employees without discrimination. Index Exchange believes equal opportunity & inclusion are essential to motivate, empower & recognize the best in everyone.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES Index Exchange is committed to working with & providing reasonable accommodation to people with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 & the Ontario Human Rights Code, Index Exchange* will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment & selection process to applicants with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please email IX.AllHumanResources@indexexchange.comor call 416.785.5908 ensure to provide your name, the best way to contact you, a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require (including any materials or processes that can be used to ensure your equal participation).