Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why & Where
Twilio is looking for an experienced Managing Counsel to lead Twilios commercial legal team in the eastern half of North America. This role can be remote, but the individual should be located in the Eastern time zone. In this role, you will lead the further growth of Twilios Commercial Legal Team in this region & support the commercial contract work for Twilios Enterprise Sales organization.
You are a talented & creative attorney who is passionate about working on sophisticated contracts, while at the same time growing & managing a team of superstars. This job is for you if you enjoy a fast-paced environment & love giving high-fives (virtual ones) when a deal closes. You have supported large enterprise sales organizations before & enjoy understanding the business drivers behind a particular deal. You must have a zealous attention to detail, excellent judgment & writing skills, & be customer support focused when dealing with internal clients & external customers
- J.D. with strong academic credentials & demonstrated record of success as a lawyer.
- 8+ years of legal experience, with at least 5+ years negotiating complex technology transactions (e.g., XAAS).
- 2+ years managing a small to mid-sized team of direct reports (at least a team of 4 reports).
- Ability to act as a Player / Coach, who is able to both negotiate complex transactions & manage/mentor a team of lawyers & contract professionals.
- Experience supporting a large sales organization selling to an enterprise customer base (e.g., F500, G2000).
- Ability to structure, draft & negotiate a high volume & broad range of commercial contracts, including Master Services Agreements, Professional Services Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, etc.
- Proven ability to provide entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic, business-oriented advice & recommendations that properly balances the legal risk & business reward
- Must be able to take complex legal concepts & explain them in a way that allows a non-lawyer to understand the issue & the associated risk
- Outstanding communication skills, both written & verbal, including the ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative & open-minded approach
- Ability to triage & prioritize a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients & delivering results efficiently.
In this role you will be expected to exercise excellent business judgment to seek solutions while managing legal & financial risks, coordinating issue resolution & employing creative problem-solving.
- BE AN OWNER: Manage & mentor an existing team of commercial lawyers & contract professionals. Take ownership of the drafting, review, negotiation, & management of a wide range of legal agreements. Advise Twilios internal clients on contract interpretation & negotiation. Champion Twilios mission, ethics & integrity by ensuring Twilios compliance policies are in practice & protect the company from risk, comply with all applicable local laws & regulations, & are in line with Twilios values.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMERS SHOES: Seek to understand the context of the positions of Twilios customers & the requests from Twilios internal clients. Strive to solve problems & address issues from their perspectives.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Assist with the development of policies & procedures, & standard commercial templates. Create processes & procedures to help support a rapidly-growing, global business.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Partner with Sales leadership to ensure the commercial legal team is working on the right deals at the right time.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Train & mentor the commercial legal team on negotiation strategy & substantive legal skills.
Twilios legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical & sound legal advice. Your unique skill set & experience are critical to help support our thriving & growing business & reinforce the trust & partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world & we believe great work can be done anywhere. For this role, given its support of the Enterprise East Sales team, this individual should be based in the Eastern time zone to allow for in-region support. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits & perks to support the physical, financial, & emotional well-being of you & your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work & be the best version of themselves.