Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why & Where
Twilio seeks a Software Engineer to be a key leader in defining a new product offering at Twilio in the customer engagement space. The person in this role will be critical in shaping Twilios data & intelligence strategy, which will empower our customers to create highly personalized communications & experiences for their contacts. Come be part of a team that's building a set of ML-driven APIs that deliver intelligent audience & personalization recommendations.
- Personal traits - curious, humble, team player
- Professional traits - customer-obsessed, gets things done, highly collaborative, excellent communicator, & very comfortable with rapid change & uncertainty
- Your experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 4+ years of experience working in data architecture, data modeling, master data management, metadata management
- Recent accomplishments working with relational as well as NoSQL data stores, methods & approaches (logging, columnar, star & snowflake, dimensional modeling)
- Proven track record in scaling & optimizing schemas, performance tuning SQL & ETL pipelines in OLAP & Data Warehouse environments
- Demonstrated skills with either Python or Java programming language
- Hands-on experience with Big Data technologies (e.g Snowflake, Hadoop, Hive, Spark) is a big plus
- Has worked in an agile team environment
- How you think:
- Independent - asks questions when something doesnt make sense, & takes ownership of initiatives in an organized fashion
- Organized - able to meet tight deadlines & maintain high-quality work
- Communicative - able to communicate clearly & concisely, orally & in writing
- Growth-minded - eager & open to learn & evolve quickly
- Self-structured - strong ability to work independently & efficiently, prioritize multiple tasks, & execute reliably
- Your responsibilities
- Intelligently design data models for optimal storage & retrieval
- Deploy inclusive data quality checks to ensure high quality of data
- Support on-call shifts as needed to support the team
- Design & develop new systems in partnership with software engineers to enable quick & easy consumption of data
- Develop low latency, highly available, globally distributed products
- Develop, deploy, monitor, & operate systems in a continuous DevOps model
- Develop proofs of concept, shared libraries, & services that will be used across the R&D organization
- Research & choose technologies, design system architectures & data models in a scalable & efficient way
- Proactively consider code quality & developer velocity
- Coach & mentor team members
You live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Design, build & launch efficient & reliable data pipelines to move & transform data (both large & small amounts)
- BE AN OWNER: Own the end-to-end data engineering component of the solution. Securely source external data from numerous partners.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Be part of a small, high-impact & multi-talented engineering team. Show strong engagement in the team setting. Build data pipelines to train & productionalize machine learning models.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMERS SHOES: Passion for & demonstrated track record of executing product opportunities deeply grounded in customer needs.
- DRAW THE OWL: Self-starter who can see the big picture & prioritize work to make the largest impact.
- BE BOLD: Help us take one of the worlds most extensive communication data sets & transform it into leading-edge AI applications & products that solve meaningful customer problems. Apply proven expertise & build high-performance, scalable data warehouses
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborating & brainstorming product ideas with product managers, data scientists & engineers. Partnering with data scientists & software developers to build machine learning & optimization solutions.
- DONT SETTLE: Experienced working at a massive scale with distributed, scalable systems, including making tradeoffs for consistency/availability.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Excel as an engineer & be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title.
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the worlds communications. Increasingly, were hearing from our B2C customers that theyre struggling to harness the massive amounts of valuable data they generate, much of which stems from the communications we help them send. We seek to uncover how Twilio can help customers utilize their valuable data to create unique, individualized experiences that their competitors cant replicate. We want to help them become more proactive (outcome-driven) than reactive (event-driven) in their customer engagements. We are a new initiative & team at Twilio that will function much like an internal start-up. If you want to shape the future of B2C Customer Engagement & Twilio, this project is for you!
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bangalore, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands, & more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do & be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.