At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the worlds largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects & accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance & a decrease in spam & other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer & named to Entrepreneur Magazines Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious & empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves & learning new skills, & we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse & inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential & support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
Cloudflares Engineering Team builds & runs the software that handles about 10% of HTTP requests on the Internet today. We also build & run the internal tools that builds & runs our software. The Engineering Team is split into two groups: one handles product development & the other handles operations. Product development covers both new features & functionality & scaling our existing software to meet the challenges of a massively growing customer base. The operations team handles one of the worlds largest networks with data centers in 102 cities worldwide.
About the Role
Back in 2014, Cloudflare launched Universal SSL to provide all of our customers with the security of encrypted traffic between visitors & Cloudflares network. On the day we flipped the switch, we doubled the amount of sites using SSL/TLS on the internet. Since then, weve been working on providing even more ways to encrypt traffic easier & more effectively. To better serve our customers, were constantly improving our systems for issuing, managing, & deploying TLS certificates. By joining Cloudflares Security Engineering team, you can help ensure that every site owner has the ability to provide their users with a secure connection.
Your code will help ensure millions of websites have access to encryption. As such, the results of your code will be felt by millions of site owners & billions of visitors every day. Were continuously providing technology to site owners that was previously only available to the largest organizations. Your contributions will help make the web a faster, safer, better, & more heavily encrypted place.
What you'll do
- Build services (small or micro) with RESTful APIs & their own datastores using Python & Go.
- Write/update a spec for your service, so others know how it works
- Integrate multiple services via message queue-like (Kafka) systems
- Evaluate 3rd party & open source tools. Contribute to open source projects that we use internally.
- Build tools to allow other departments to keep track of certificate status
- Design & implement alerts, write procedures for ops to handle such alerts, or be escalated-to around unresolved operational issues.
- Read & understand code from a legacy codebase to migrate logic to a modern services architecture.
- Review the code of fellow engineers via pull requests.
Examples of desired skills, knowledge & experience
- Have significant experience designing, coding, & implementing applications from the datastore to the public interface
- Are aware of the constraints around code performance, data storage & retrieval, caching, distributed systems, & customer needs
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Have at least 5 years of development experience
- Have used statically typed languages (we use Golang)
- Are willing to use (and learn, if needed) Go & Python on a regular basis
- Are willing to use (and learn, if needed) PHP on a less-regular basis
- Are experienced with designing, consuming, or implementing RESTful services
- Are experienced with working with distributed systems, SOA, or microservices
- Have good working knowledge of traditional databases (PostgreSQL or other relational database)
- Are passionate about writing reusable code that empowers other developers to work faster & smarter
- Can deliver well-tested code that enterprises can rely on
- Have working source control knowledge including branching, merging, & rebasing (we use git)
- Display a strong work ethic & willingness to continuously improve
- Experience with message queues (Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc)
- Experience working with a GLNP (Go, Linux, Nginx, PostgreSQL) stack
- Experience with PL/PGSQL stored procedures
- Experience with key-value data stores (Redis, HBase, HDFS, or other)
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
Were not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. Were a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free & open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically & artistically important organizations & journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflares enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state & local governments have the highest level of protection & reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information & voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something youd like to be a part of? Wed love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people & place great value in both diversity & inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.