Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed & disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the worlds first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Weve pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories & home decor from over 650 designer partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members & employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women
About the Job:
As Senior Counsel, Privacy, Product & IP, you will be responsible for product counseling, privacy compliance & intellectual property matters at Rent the Runway. You will work collaboratively with your business partners to ensure that Rent the Runways products & processes are compliant with applicable laws & regulations relating to consumer protection & privacy. In particular, you will play a key leadership role in Rent the Runways compliance with global privacy laws & regulations. Youll also oversee Rent the Runways IP strategy & portfolio. Rent the Runway is in high growth mode & expanding rapidly, so you will serve an instrumental role in helping manage our growth & shaping & impacting our company & culture as we continue to scale.
What Youll Do:
- Analyze our products, initiatives, & services & provide practical legal risk mitigation strategies.
- Be a thought leader & subject matter expert to ensure Rent the Runways compliance with evolving global privacy regulations (e.g., GDPR, COPPA, CCPA, other state & federal consumer protection & privacy laws).
- In partnership with the security team, drive operational privacy compliance initiatives, build scalable & effective processes, & continue to develop internal privacy policies, procedures, & training programs.
- Review, draft & revise contracts with a focus on complex IP & privacy matters including, data usage & license agreements, vendor/service provider agreements, customer agreements, data transfer & data protection agreements.
- Leverage your knowledge of US breach response regulations & best-in-class data incident response plans to lead Rent the Runways incident response plans & processes in partnership with the security team.
- Provide thought leadership on Rent the Runways IP strategy & oversee our IP portfolio.
- Keep abreast of legal decisions, statutory changes & other developments that affect our product, IP, & privacy initiatives, & form strong relationships with cross-functional stakeholders to provide training & updates on product, privacy & IP topics.
- Strategically hire, manage, & leverage outside counsel & other resources as needed to accomplish Rent the Runways product, IP & privacy objectives.
- Be a team player & understand the value of collaboration, while also exercising a great deal of autonomy in your job & how you execute your responsibilities.
- Serve as a mentor to other members of the legal team.
- JD & New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in a law firm & in-house legal department. Prior in-house experience is essential.
- Experience advising high growth tech companies.
- Technology litigation experience is a plus.
- A deep understanding of privacy, IP, & consumer protection regulations, & industry trends.
- Experience working in a fast-growing & disruptive business.
- A practical, business-oriented approach & ability to translate legal issues into clear, plain English guidance for non-lawyers.
- Must be a team player who will roll up their sleeves & take on additional responsibilities, while also being able to work independently & think strategically.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company, including strong business judgment & an ability to calibrate for when we need a quick response versus a deep dive to get something precisely right.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong internal relationships & influence across departments.
- Ability to prioritize & manage multiple critical projects, working independently & under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to pick things up quickly, & work well in a fast-paced environment.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the happiness & wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!