Foursquare is the leading independent location technology & data cloud platform dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces & physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, & achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquares location tech stack is being utilized by the worlds largest enterprises & most recognizable brands.
About the Position
Our Data Platform team provides the infrastructure, tools, libraries, & APIs that power our data processing infrastructure. The goal of the team is to make engineers at Foursquare more effective & happier by offloading common problems from the product & content experts, enabling them to apply their skills & knowledge to their specific domain, while the Data Platform team works on problems that affect the company as a whole.
In this role, you'll
In this role, you will ship products with high visibility & strategic importance to Foursquare & contribute directly to revenue. Help us build & collaborate with Product, Engineering, & Data Science teams to create tools & processes to bring research & machine learning models to production.
- Influence key decisions on architecture & scalable data processing & analytics structure.
- Build & maintain Foursquare's event streaming platform, Framework, & applications for data ingestion.
- Build resilient services & tooling which drive all of our offline processing of petabytes of data
- Write test automation, conduct code reviews, & take end-to-end ownership of deployments to production.
- Participate in on-call rotation duties.
What you'll need
- BS/BA in a technical field such as computer science or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience in software development working with production-level code.
- Proficiency in one or more of the programming languages we use.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to identify & communicate data-driven insights.
- Strong algorithms & data structures knowledge.
- Comfort with Unix/Linux & the command line.
Nice to have
- Experience with Hadoop, Kafka, MapReduce, and/or Spark.
- Experience with relational or document-oriented database systems.
- Prior software internship experience.
Our Tech Stack
- Languages: Java, Scala, Python, Clojure, Ruby
- Tools for pipeline orchestration: Airflow, Luigi
- Frameworks: Spark, MapReduce, Scalding, Spring Boot
- Infrastructure: AWS, Hadoop, Kafka, Kubernetes, Docker
- Other technologies: Postgres, Hive, HBase, MongoDB
Benefits & Perks
- Fully Flexible Workplace - work from home, one of our offices or a combination of the two!
- Unlimited PTO - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Industry Leading Healthcare - comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- Savings & Investments - 401(k) with company match
- Home Office Setup - you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family Planning & Fertility Programs - programs via Carrot & Maven
- Employee Resource Groups - to help you stay connected
Things to know
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.