We are a Silicon Valley startup operating in Toronto & we are scaling. Cover is a place where Developers are front & centre; a strategic part of our success. This is a new way of working in insurance technology. No legacy systems. No tech debt. Just, how you will line up with our values.
Who you are
You are a junior-to-intermediate tech-agnostic developer looking for a step up. A transformer, a relationship-builder, a pitch-in-wherever-Im-needed team player; you have a few years of experience working in start-ups or insurance. You want to learn Ruby-on-Rails or expand your current skill set. You are looking for a chance to join a team that is building, scaling & automating across a product pipeline from user experience to insurance data reconciliation & reporting. If youre the kind of person who creates the solutions you want to see; who builds the applications you want to use & who provides the experience you want to have, then we want to talk to you.
Whats in it for you
- Innovation. We are a team of engineers & designers, & we hold the products we craft to the highest standard. We believe in pushing the envelope in moving insurance away from its archaic technology.
- Efficiency. Insurance is a complex system, & we want to break that mold. We care deeply about helping our users save time & money; our goal is to simplify insurance so its easily understandable.
- Knowledgeable. We are the trusted advisors to our customers when it comes to insurance. We aim to educate & deliver peace of mind with our expertise in the financial sphere.
As our new Intermediate Developer:
- You have multiple years of hands-on experience with:
- Ruby-on-Rails or an equivalent framework & the desire to learn Rails quickly.
- Relational databases (PostgreSQL).
- Building & scaling user-focused mobile applications.
- You want to make a difference working on mission-critical systems.
- You know how to write clean, easy-to-understand & well-tested code quickly.
- You have outstanding oral & written skills. You can translate business to technical & vice versa easily.
Why join us
Think insurance is boring? We did too. So we built a company that takes everything you think you know about buying insurance & turns it on its head. At Cover, were disrupting an industry; we started out as a brokerage selling policies across the U.S. but recently expanded to offer our own auto insurance in Texas. Its something were proud of & it inspires us to come into work every day. Everyone here is passionate about what were doing, using cutting-edge tools to build leading-edge tech.
- We pursue knowledge. As part of our continuous commitment to learning, every employee has access to an annual learning stipend. We have a Technical Book Club & Code Challenge days.
- We are well funded. Our founders have already built successful businesses & we recently secured $20 million CAD in funding led by Tribe Capital. We are well positioned to add to our teams & expand our product offerings.
- We have challenging engineering work. Weve built an insurance rating engine from scratch in record time.
- We meet. Our CTO has weekly open office hours & sets up one-on-one meetings as well as technical workshops to ensure everyone is up to speed & continuously learning.
- We have a lot of fun. We have ping pong tournaments at Spin; axe throwing competitions; escape room adventures & kickoff long weekends with cocktails created by the founders.
- We have unbeatable benefits. Gym membership; catered lunch & an enviable vacation policy.
Right now, were looking for smart, collaborative, innovators to be part of our dynamic environment. Were aiming for 50/50 gender diversity (and hey, if you dont fit into either side of that ratio, thats okay too). Were a company that cares about how smart you are & who you are, not the boxes you do or dont check on a form. If you feel like you have something to contribute but dont quite meet all of the requirements we are looking for, submit your application anyway, we promise to take a look.
If Cover sounds like the type of company you want to be part of, express your interest here or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn or Medium to learn more about us.
Cover welcomes & encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available by request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.