Marketplace Engineering Co-op
Please Submit applications by 6am on Tuesday, October 15th, 2019.
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable & accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, & grow healthy food for all. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health & productivity, Indigos portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, & rice. The company, founded by Flagship Pioneering, is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, & So Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
As a software engineer on the Marketplace team, youll create scalable, distributed systems that integrate with a rich ecosystem of services to power web, mobile, & desktop applications. Indigo Marketplace is changing how food is produced & soldin the U.S. now, & soon around the world. Today, growers dont have incentive to grow higher-quality crops. In fact, since grain is commoditized, growers main incentive is to simply grow as much volume as possible. Our Marketplace flips the current model on its head by connecting growers directly with buyers & preserving crop identity. This means that growers get paid a premium for growing organic & similarly desirable crops. Your experience in interface design & software architecture will help us deliver a flexible backend to our growing suite of world-class marketplace products.
- Develop features end-to-end, from design to implementation to deployment to production support, communicating any risks & issues to stakeholders.
- Help design & implement performant APIs using a modern web stack consisting of TypeScript, GraphQL, & Apollo.
- Collaborate with product managers, front-end engineers, & data science engineers to spec, build, test & deploy high quality code in the cloud.
- Leverage applicable design patterns, refactoring code where necessary, to maintain organizational consistency.
- Ensure that all APIs are adequately tested in an automated framework, including functional & performance tests.
- Review code, have your code reviewed, & learn from other engineers.
- Voice your expertise to provide technical constraints & solutions to product managers, with a focus on incremental delivery.
- Understand & embody our purpose & core values
- Excited by Indigos mission; believes that Indigo can fundamentally change the agriculture industry; can clearly articulate passion for our mission & values
- Optimistic & innovative; solution-oriented; shows no signs of cynicism
- Will be widely viewed as someone who personifies our core values, is committed to them, & leans on them when making decisions. Specifically:
- Demonstrates a track record of high integrity - doing the right thing, owning mistakes, conducting oneself honestly
- Values, communicates & interacts with others with high levels of transparency & respect
- Collaborates well across functions; creates an inspiring & collegial work environment
- You are pursuing a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Youve been building backend web applications through project work for 1+ years.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, & data management.
- You have experience in one or more imperative programming languages. * You possess a good understanding of the web request/response lifecycle & API design -- including versioning, isolation & microservice architectures.
- You have experience deploying & monitoring software in a cloud provider such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
- You have built applications using one or more of the following: Typescript, Node.js, GraphQL, Apollo.
- You understand how to design APIs & libraries that are easy for clients to use, while protecting the SLAs of the backend systems.
- Youre able to research, propose, & evangelize new technologies or software patterns to improve the software ecosystem.
- Youre a strong communicator that can convey technical concepts & trade-offs to both engineering & business audiences.
- You have some experience working in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- You bring a positive attitude, a sense of humor, & self-awareness.
- You are a perpetual learner & passionate about technology.