At LightStep, our mission is to deliver confidence at scale for those who develop, operate, & rely upon todays powerful software applications. We created LightStep because we understand the massive architectural transformation underway in the software industry, & we saw an opportunity to accelerate it, all while improving the quality of the developer & end-user experience. While we learned a great deal from our experiences building Dapper (Googles distributed tracing solution) & Monarch (Googles high-availability metrics solution), LightStep is in many ways a reaction to & a generational improvement beyond those approaches. Our story as individuals & as a company revolves around continuous learning, careful listening, & the belief that these fundamentally new software architectures require fundamentally new solutions.
LightStep is looking for our first Solutions Architect to help our most technical customers instrument, adopt, & utilize LightStep across their entire system architecture & software engineering team. As a Solutions Architect, you will become a technical expert in LightSteps products, develop a keen understanding of OpenTracing, & help customers increase the reliability & performance of the systems fueling their business. You will be responsible for our relationships with our most strategic customers & be their trusted advisor. You will also help LightStep improve our products, tools, & processes by working with your teammates across Customer Success, Product, & Engineering to develop new methods to enable us to help customers tackle their performance problems faster & more effectively.
Youd be a phenomenal fit if
- You have experience working as a Site Reliability Engineer, DevOps Engineer, or Software Developer.
- You have experience with modern software development, microservices, distributed systems, cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- You have a strong knowledge of network protocols, load balancing,
- You would enjoy working directly with our customers including VPs of Engineering, DevOps teams, Site Reliability teams, & Observability/Platform teams while serving as their advocate within LightStep.
- You are comfortable engaging with business executives & engineering teams to drive successful business outcomes via intelligent technical decisions plus effective collaboration & project management.
- You are passionate about developing your soft skills as much as your technical skills.
- You display trustworthiness & build credibility quickly via empathy, clear communication, & a deep understanding of people, technology, & business.
- You are a self-starter & caring teammate who is energized by building new processes, tools, & solutions alongside others.
- You would be excited to manage your own travel schedule & travel 10 - 15% of the time to visit customers in person.
Our ideal teammate...
- Has worked on (and/or have a lot of curiosity about) large-scale distributed systems & microservice-based architectures.
- Possesses experience developing in Go, Java, Python, and/or Node.js.
- Has utilized any of the following tools to investigate system performance issues:
- Distributed Tracing: Jaeger, Zipkin.
- Monitoring & Analytics: DataDog, Prometheus, Wavefront, Grafana.
- Logging: Splunk, Sumo Logic, Loggly.
- Application Performance Management (APM):New Relic, AppDynamics, Dynatrace.
- Has a working knowledge of container management/orchestration software like Kubernetes, Mesos, Docker Swarm, etc.
- Has or would like to contribute to open source projects.
What you can expect to do in this role
- After 30 Days: You have developed a basic understanding of LightStep [x]PMs system architecture, how customers instrument with OpenTracing, & how customers utilize the LightStep [x]PM solution. You have begun to address customer questions/needs, begun to draft user documents, & know how to demonstrate the full functionality of the LightStep product. You have also begun to build strong relationships with all your LightStep colleagues.
- After 60 Days: You have begun to own customer relationships, are providing technical instrumentation consulting directly to fellow engineers. You are able to stand up instances of LightStep Satellites (AWS AMI, Debian package) with customers & for testing purposes. You have prepared strategic roadmaps with customers to guide their instrumentation, adoption, & utilization of LightStep [x]PM. You have made fundamental contributions & developed improvements to how we field & resolve technical questions & needs for customers. You have also begun to play a first-hand role in recruiting & onboarding new members of the LightStep team.
- After 90 Days: You know LightStep & OpenTracing in & out & are beginning to make contributions to the OpenTracing community. You have developed technical tooling & automated processes that have significantly improved our ability to operate as a team to effectively enable customers. You have established yourself as a technical lead on our team & are actively producing educating material & engagements to help customers & new hires ramp. You are handling complex technical issues for customers without assistance from Engineering & leading detailed product/feature improvements with our Product & Engineering teams.
LightStep is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.