Director of Product- Customer Service
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third-largest e-commerce company in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) & accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 Billion & revenues of $14.5 Billion (2018). Booking.com currently employs more than 17,000 employees in 214 offices in 70 countries worldwide. With a mission to empower people to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travellers with the worlds largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, & family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts, tree houses & even igloos. The Booking.com website & mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,984,513 total reported listings, & cover 142,259 destinations in 229 countries & territories worldwide. Each day, more than 1,550,000 room nights are reserved on its platform. So whether travelling for business or leisure, customers can instantly book their ideal accommodation quickly & easily with Booking.com, without booking fees & backed up by its promise to price match. Via the customer experience team, customers can reach Booking.com 24/7 for assistance & support in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
Financial & Operational Highlights
On 7 August 2019, Booking Holdings announced total revenues for the 2nd quarter of 2019 were $3.9 billion, a 9% increase from the prior year (approximately 14% on a constant-currency basis). Net income in the 2nd quarter was $979 million, which was in line with the prior year.
For more information on the leadership biographies: please visit https://globalnews.booking.com/executive-biographies/
Profile Director of Product -Customer Service-Commercial Operations
Are you an outstanding leader? Can you solve complex problems of scale & drive change across a geographically diverse team of 17,000+ employees? Are you excited about joining one of the most successful brands in e-commerce & online travel?
We are currently looking for a world-class Director of Product professional, to lead Booking.coms Global Customer Service team, reporting directly to the Sr Director of products). You will be responsible for as a Director of Product - Customer Service in Commercial Operations, youll be leading the development of tools & systems that have a direct & profound impact on the lives of our support colleagues, partners, & customers seeking help. In Commercial Operations we provide support tooling that enables hyper-growth; were behind the scenes, leveraging machine learning (especially NLP/NLG, Machine Translation, Classification & Intent Detection) & data to maximise efficiency & reduce friction for all communication channels.
- You will have a good overview of teams impact & ROI & challenge, clarify, & sign off on investment requests & decisions
- You will be a valued member of the wider Commercial Operations Tech & Product leadership team & a hands-on collaborator with your colleagues in Operational Excellence & Workforce Management to drive a best-in-class customer experience of support
- You will be responsible for triggering team repurposing discussions & decisions
- You will lead a team to deliver product value proposition, key features & positioning for key elements of Booking.com internal tooling for our colleagues in Customer Service
- You will drive & lead the strategic direction of your track, also for non-product activities
- You will be responsible for defining, measuring, & challenging KPIs for your teams/track
- You will contribute to the strategic direction of the company
- You will contribute to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, onboarding, & other recruitment efforts
- You will support your reports & mentees, & empower people to do their best work at Booking.com
- 9+ years of Product Leadership Experience with high traffic (100,000+ visitors per day), preferably in travel, E-commerce sites or marketplace companies.
- Experience in developing operational tooling (like workflow management systems, agent-facing interfaces) in a large organisation
- Experience in making build vs buy decisions, understanding of the importance of data engineering, working in a service oriented architecture, & working on complex systems
- Able to smoothly introduce changes using excellent stakeholder management, change-management, & storytelling skills; able to communicate complexity effectively to a non-technical audience
- Subject matter expertise in Product Management with a proven track record of building successful innovative products - vision, strategy & roadmap, KPIs/objectives setting, ideation & implementation process, team alignment with business goals
- Experience with managing & coaching teams of senior product managers/product owners including building & growing teams
- Experience working with product & tech departments & cross functional senior stakeholders
- Expert in leading through influence with stakeholders including executives
- Skillful use of a/b or multi variant testing & data to move quickly informed by data
- Strong project management skills; how to plan, set & manage to reasonable timelines, while delivering projects that align with the business strategy
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions & norms.
- The ability to think big & simultaneously understand & appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies & goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues & ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about the way things are done.
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, & possible outcomes & costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand & accept the change.
- Encourages people to support & propose changes & ideas
Building relationships, Collaborating & Influencing
- Establishes relationships & enhances the levels of cooperation, collaboration, & trust that exist between people, interacting with others personally, competently, & effectively. Establishes relationships inside & outside of the organization. Fosters a culture that makes people feel valued & respected & leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates with a genuine give-and-take approach, where both acts as true peers & decisions are shared.
- Spends time identifying all stakeholders necessary & meets or connects with all of them, neglecting no one to shape a collective consensus.
- Identifies opportunities to build relationships that will help others achieve their objectives & reaches out to those people or new people.
- Responds resourcefully, flexibly, & positively when faced with new challenges & demands. Willingly & effectively deals with the stress & complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively under conditions of change or uncertainty
- Demonstrates & fosters a sense of urgency, a can-do spirit, a sense of optimism, ownership, & strong commitment to achieving goals & organizational success. Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership & a commitment to achieving meaningful results.
- Checks work of self & others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance & progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results.
- Tests to see if goals are sufficiently challenging & implements corrective action based on deviations.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Able to function in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment
- Humble yet confident, with high self-awareness
- A strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up the sleeves to get things done
- Self-starter with high energy & drive; fast-paced & results-driven; forward-thinking
- Experimental, ready to learn & open to change
- Keep the customer at the centre of everything you do
- Good cultural & organizational sensitivity
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment
Reward philosophy - designed to give you the best deal possible:
- Opportunity to grow professionally & to shape the future of the global travel industry
- A high-scale, complex, world-renowned product
- See the real-time impact of your work
- Smart, driven colleagues & a fast-paced, performance-driven culture
- Great headquarters in Amsterdam, one of Europes most cosmopolitan cities
- Scope for rapid career development, continuous training & active community participation
- Competitive compensation & benefits package & great added perks