The Verge is seeking a Managing Editor to oversee the daily operations of our exciting, talented, & fast-paced newsroom. Working closely with our leadership team & the rest of our edit leads, you will help The Verge meet its ambitious organizational goals & advance its thriving culture. This position reports to our Executive Editor.
While the Managing Editor will oversee many of our operational areas like hiring & budget, were looking for someone with a deep passion for & knowledge about the subjects at the core of The Verges mission. People who are excited about the future, curious but skeptical about consumer technology, & interested in where technology intersects with science & culture are highly desired. Digital media is a fast-paced & constantly changing business, & the Managing Editor will help us continue to lead the industry.
The Managing Editor role touches all parts of our organization, so were looking for someone with great interpersonal & communications skills who can work well with all kinds of people. People with great organizational skills, superior attention to detail, & punctuality will excel in the role. As a member of The Verges editorial leadership team, practicing our values of ambition, transparency, & inclusiveness is a must.
- Track The Verges editorial performance against our goals
- Manage our hiring process & ensure that we are meeting high standards for recruiting & inclusivity
- Manage our editorial calendar & help develop planning & process for new formats, like evergreen content
- Work with our edit leads & business development team on executing special editorial projects, like sponsored video series & events
- Keep staff at The Verge accountable to our high organizational standards, including helping managers give feedback & encouraging professional development
- Manage daily staff operations, including holiday coverage & other special circumstances
- Oversee our discretionary operations budget
- Work closely with other Vox Media operational teams, including People & Culture & Finance, & serve as the point of contact at The Verge for Vox Media operational concerns
The ideal candidate comes with:
- 2-3+ years in a senior editorial / management position at a publication
- Experience running hiring processes & recruiting
- Experience managing a budget
- Enthusiasm & passion for The Verges editorial mission is highly desired
- Past professional leadership or management training is a plus
About Vox Media:
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.