Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
Our Enterprise Architects help customers fully utilize the technical benefits of CockroachDB. We believe that in order for an Enterprise Architect to be successful, they must understand every part of the database, including modern & legacy deployment tools & systems, both on premise & in the cloud, the surrounding infrastructure stack, & produce reusable artifacts that demonstrate strengths & disseminate the information, while balancing both reactive & proactive activities. The location for this role is flexible but the person will be focusing on customers in the eastern timezone.
- Own the expert technical guidance & assistance with our customers during their planning, design, testing, migration, & implementation efforts as they modernize both their legacy SQL applications & new, next generation applications
- Utilize your deep technical skills to provide measurable value to customers & drive sales growth
- Educate customers on the unique capabilities of CockroachDB & design solutions to meet a wide variety of challenges
- Drive adoption & implementation of Cockroach Labs tools/features by leading requirements & design sessions, migration analysis & strategy, performance analysis & tuning, hands-on product & technical workshop sessions
- Execute on the solution deployment - deploy clusters, migrate customers, administer users, etc.
- Have Database Admin/Operations experience:
- working with users & troubleshooting basic day-to-day issues
- deploying monitoring & alerting, & ensuring DRIs (Directly Responsible Individuals) are alerted to issues
- responsible for coordinating with customers on projects & deliverables
- Keep a complex system running & solve problems relating to mission-critical services
- Design, implement, operate, & troubleshoot the automation & monitoring of production clusters to maximize performance & availability
- Drive disaster recovery tests, turning down pieces of CockroachDB to test its overall resilience to failures
- Participate in an on-call rotation for production systems
- Need to learn new technologies constantly & quickly to keep pace with customer environments
- As a member of the Revenue organization, you will partner with members of the Sales & Customer Success teams in driving new business opportunities & expanding adoption in existing customer organizations
- Develop & implement best practices, processes & tools which can continually enhance Cockroach Labss Customer Success Program
In your first 30 days, you will learn about CockroachDB & figure out where the product would be a good fit for certain use cases. During this time, we also believe its important for you to establish internal relationships across sales, product, & engineering to effectively be able to navigate resources to help you in your efforts with customers.
After 60 days, you will be leading customer efforts, including design, testing, learning refactoring opportunities, migration strategies & considerations, implementation methods, & executing on solution deployment. As you continue to grow in the role, you will be moving into owning best practices & industry solutions, developing reusable artifacts supporting the organization's growth & intellectual property. The artifacts creation & re-use are key to help both pre & post sales activities.
- 3-5+ years of overall relevant experience
- Strong experience writing, developing & presenting technical content for external audiences
- A mix of skills that can include an in-depth knowledge of databases, distributed systems, public cloud systems, containers & VM, orchestration tools, linux systems for benchmarking, and modern enterprise software architecture
- Technical knowledge of enterprise applications, platforms, & data ecosystem, with ability to go deep on technical aspects to understand current & future customer needs & present CRDB technical benefits
- Experience in designing & building cloud-based deployment infrastructures. Focus will be database-centric, although the database is only one component of the tech stack. This person must be able to work within the customer environment to understand their current stacks & be able to design solutions to meet the needs of CRDB on customer infrastructure. They should be familiar with various infrastructure stacks & technologies (bare metal, cloud, VM, containers, orchestration), network, security, etc.
- Experience as a skilled database administrator
- Expertise in analyzing, monitoring, & troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience in shell programming & scripting (i.e., Bash). Software development using one or more of the following: Go, C, C++, Python, Java is a plus
- Proficiency working with algorithms, data structures, & production troubleshooting
- Expertise in working with major cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.) & Cloud APIs
- Debugged & optimized code to automate routine tasks
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process & partnering with your teammates on challenging problems
- 1-3+ years of experience as an Enterprise Architect with a proven success record
- 1-3+ years of experience as an Engineer architecting a modern enterprise software application, such as Domain Driven Design & Event based architectures
- A degree in Computer Science or other technical major
- 100% health insurance option (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning & Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.