We are looking for a passionate Staff Engineer/Tech Lead to join our rapidly growing Acquisition Software Engineering team. We want someone to provide technical leadership as the team designs, builds & deploys innovative products & services. This position has a lot of autonomy & will be able to influence the direction of new & existing projects. We are looking for hands-on coding, mentoring developers as well as designing system architecture. As part of the team, you will support our retail & e-commerce business, from working with our product team & supporting user-facing features, to ensuring data integrity & flow into our financial systems.
Help build a culture of quality
- Actively maintain & build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, & trust.
- Have a strong technical voice in team discussions & decisions. Focus on the whole teams productivity & strive to increase the impact of the teams work product.
- Assume technical responsibility for new services & functionality, lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, & work with engineers to scale our production systems.
- Identify & lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, & performant applications.
- Contribute to the adoption of software architecture & new technologies.
- Lead, coach, pair with, & mentor backend software engineers.
- Mentor software engineers from diverse backgrounds to nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, & engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns & industry best practices.
- Engage in code reviews helping maintain our coding standards.
- Be a leader within your team & the organization.
Facilitate the on-time completion of large projects
- Establish a relationship with business stakeholders.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Program Management in order to deliver against quarterly & annual roadmap objectives.
- Handle planning & breaking down large projects into milestones & identifying risks & dependencies.
- Lead architecture meetings & technical discussions with the focus of reaching consensus & best practice solutions.
- Lead the team in defining technical requirements & solutions & drive projects through to completion.
- Break down tasks for other engineers & offer guidance to other engineers on the team when they are blocked.
- Achieve on-time delivery without compromising quality.
- Ability to say NO, respectfully challenge ideas, & call out potential trade-offs.
- Partner with our SRE & infrastructure teams to scale & monitor our services.
- 8+ years of relevant experience including e-commerce, web application development, and/or systems.
- At least two years being a tech lead of a group of three or more software engineers.
- Good active listening skills, the ability to empathize with customers, stakeholders & other engineers.
- Experience working using Agile methodology in a fast-paced environment.
- At least three demonstrable experiences in leading the deployments of systems into production.
- Experience in a high-paced, high-growth environment working with deadlines & milestones.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done.
- Senior-level with at least one modern programming language & can learn anything you don't already know to get the job done.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent communication & teamwork skills.
- Have a solid understanding of clean software design principles.
- Expert understanding of object-oriented and/or functional programming design principles.
- Experience mentoring engineers with the team-focused mentality for success.
- Experience with data modeling.
- Experience with multiple database engines (Postgres, MySql).
- Experience with distributed systems, CI/CD (ex: Jenkins) tools, & containerizing applications (ex: Kubernetes).
- Proven experience in e-commerce development & integration.
- Work with development teams to understand test automation gaps & implement coverage.
- Have experience using monitoring & metrics to support KPIs & performance of APIs
- Enjoy tech talks, katas, lunch & learns, & geeking over programming languages, architecture, category theory, or whatever engineering topic you are passionate about.
- Github project(s) or contribute to open source communities.
- Experience with or knowledge of DDD, CQRS. & Event Sourcing.
- Experience with XP practices such as pair programming & Test Driven Development.
- Diverse knowledge of other programming languages & frameworks.
- JVM, microservice, & experience w/ event-driven architecture.
- Experience migrating a monolithic system to an ecosystem of microservices.
- Experience with internationalization & localization.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy & benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience & comfort of home. We use technology & design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, & Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks & challenging the status quo by continuously innovating & improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, & we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses & retail showrooms in the US, UK & Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 & Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.