Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Engineering team.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate will be a passionate, forward thinking thought-leader that is adept at creating elegant, future-facing experiences & technologies. This person should be comfortable mentoring more junior engineers & having ownership over projects from development to release. They will be developing technology solutions, working closely with a variety of stakeholders including our Digital Product & User Experience teams. You will report into our Engineering Manager & report into our New York City office with the option to work remotely.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, & fellow engineers to build & plan new features for web properties, including both e-commerce & editorial experiences
- Write robust, scalable, well-designed software that delivers great value to the business, is easy to maintain, & well tested
- Push & refine our technology, user experience, & creative practices
- Create online experiences our customers love that seamlessly tie in with our retail experiences
- Help us transition our front-end from Backbone to React, Redux, & next.js
- Extend our Solidus based (Ruby on Rails) backend application
Who you are:
- Minimum 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages
- Skilled at RESTful API design
- Experience with Azure, AWS, Heroku, or similar IaaS or PaaS providers
- Experience with data streaming platforms like Apache Kafka
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about travel (but thats a given!)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.