Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help the leading organizations, businesses, activists, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creative, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & strategy to build creative campaigns, action brands, innovative technology, & new campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers & creates lasting impact.
Join the team that helped make possible THIS, THIS, and THIS.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Are you interested in getting involved with an organization making a difference in todays challenging political climate? Can you lead state legislative strategy at one of the nations premier issue advocacy organizations? Purpose is seeking an Associate Regional Director of State Affairs to assist with the development of & execution of complex, targeted legislative strategy for states in a designated U.S. region. The primary goal of this role is to work in collaboration with state legislators, advocacy organizations, lobbyists, & other influencers to seize opportunities to pass & protect lifesaving gun violence prevention laws at the state level.
A key part of the Associate Regional Directors role will be to assist the Regional Director with leading & leveraging the collective expertise of an internal, cross-departmental team to implement a complex legislative strategy. This includes the development of comprehensive strategy & advocacy plans & collaborating with a complex cross-departmental team to execute legislative tactics.
Ideal candidates are entrepreneurial, collaborative & passionate, with proven success as leaders in issue advocacy campaigns.
Including but not limited to:
- Legislative Strategy & Planning
- Work closely with the Regional Director & cross functional team of colleagues to formulate & refine overall legislative strategy for designated states
- Personally direct state legislative or local campaigns in select states, overseeing each campaign's strategic, tactical, & communications plans with the guidance of the Regional Director
- Evaluate alternative solutions/options & decide on a plan of action quickly
- Hire & manage contracts of state-based consultants, lobbyists & other vendors
- Relationship Building
- Cultivate relationships & influence national & local partner organizations, law enforcement, & elected officials, providing them with policy analysis & other guidance
- Build & strengthens coalitions as well as grassroots & grasstops capacity in targeted states & constituencies
- Build & strengthen relationships with local partners, networks, & influencers
- Expert Knowledge & Growth
- Become steeped in firearm policy in order to provide policy analysis
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of designated state's legislative agenda, & the overall political environment, with an eye towards delivering gun violence prevention legislation
- Ability to leverage data to formulate strategy & drive results
We think you will be a successful candidate if you have:
- Experience with state legislative affairs is a must
- 4+ years experience working in or directing issue advocacy/policy campaigns
- Strong preference for those with experience with running state legislative campaigns in multiple states
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office & the ability to quickly learn new systems
- Independent & creative thinker who is confident offering his/her own ideas
- Strong ability to multi-task & to be resourceful
- Good problem-solving abilities
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Sense of humor is a must
- Bachelor's degree or commensurate experience
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.