Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our growing team of 400+ is passionate about our mission to make peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, with hubs in Philadelphia & D.C, & offer in-office, hybrid, & remote working based on role & location.
About the role:
You are an outstanding attorney looking to join a category-creating company that is making investing smarter, easier, & more accessible for everyone. You are a problem solver with excellent legal judgment & outstanding attention to detail. You are mission-driven, business-oriented, independent, & quick to learn. You can communicate clearly & persuasively to a wide variety of audiences. You can thrive in a dynamic, technology-driven environment & are comfortable taking action in the face of ambiguity. You are eager to make an impact & are always seeking new & improved ways of doing things. You are adept at managing competing priorities & thrive building processes to standardize recurring tasks.
We are looking to hire this role based in our NYC or Philly office locations, where we offer hybrid working conditions.
A Day in the Life:
- Draft, review, negotiate, & interpret a wide variety of commercial agreements
- Provide legal support for a variety of corporate transactions through all stages of the transaction lifecycle, including M&A, securities & technology transactions
- Advise on a broad range of commercial legal issues & strategic decisions
- Partner with business teams on the development & execution of new & existing products, initiatives, & lines of business
- Assist in managing corporate matters, including board/shareholder matters & equity plan administration
- Work cross-functionally to identify, investigate & manage risks across the business
- Build & improve our standard form agreements & legal processes
- Help to resolve & avoid potential disputes
- Work closely with product, engineering, & our lines of business to navigate regulatory & compliance requirements, operational issues, & related matters
- Analyze & provide guidance to the company on evolving rules, regulations, & trends impacting the financial services industry
- Collaborate with outside counsel when necessary
What Were Looking For:
- A JD, admission to a state bar, & at least 4 years of relevant transactional experience (in-house or firm)
- A passion for closing deals
- A bias toward action & solving problems, not just issue spotting
- The ability to take ownership over your work & manage projects independently
- Excellent writing ability
- Comfort navigating complexity & creating simplicity where possible
- An adaptable mindset & innate curiosity
- Passion for Betterments product & mission
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Significant transactional experience across a variety of corporate transactions & deals
- Experience with private company corporate governance & equity plan issues
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, & continuing on a journey of non-stop growth & evolution.
Youll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, & celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, & regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, & help us shape Betterments culture & product for years to come.
Youll stay Happy & Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up & cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, benefit packages that fit your needs (infertility & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits available), flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements & a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- Youll have unlimited paid personal & vacation days, & a team that cares about your whole life, not just what youre working on.
Youll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills & abilities through Betterment University courses & additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing & transparency you can opt into mentoring & career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, & show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to email@example.com
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, & our hiring team simply doesnt have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.