PublicAffairs/Bold Type Books/ Economist Books, a current-affairs-focused nonfiction imprint of the Perseus Books division of the Hachette Book Group, is looking for a publicist to join our publicity team. Publicity is of paramount importance to our business model, so we’re looking for a dynamic, creative, enthusiastic individual to help keep our groundbreaking books & authors in the news.
As part of the PublicAffairs publicity team, you’ll handle nonfiction publicity campaigns from manuscript through publication, including creating press materials, planning tours & events, facilitating reviews & feature pieces, booking interviews, arranging travel, & working with our marketing department to create an online & social media strategy for the book. You’ll work with the many organizations associated with our authors, from Participant Media to Accenture to AARP. You’ll also help shape PublicAffairs’ overall publicity strategy through meetings with media, conversations with editors about potential & upcoming projects, & preparing publicity materials for sales meetings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for implementing original & compelling publicity plans for a diverse list of titles each season through traditional & online media campaigns, industry, & author events.
- Create press releases, pitch letters, promotional materials & media lists with a goal of securing national, regional, & local media in print, broadcast, & online outlets.
- Orchestrate & oversee media interviews, reviewer outreach & select author appearances.
- Communicate with editorial, marketing, & sales as part of a cohesive publicity effort for each title.
- Strengthen & develop media contacts in addition to maintaining strong relationships with authors.
- Help represent the imprint at industry events such as BEA, ALA, & other large-scale events as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 3-4 years of publicity experience with extensive media contacts, a well-rounded knowledge of trade book publishing, & a strong interest/background in current events, politics, & business.
- Effective organizational & project management skills & proven ability to work well under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Effective communication skills (oral & written) for interactions with media, authors, & in-house constituencies.
- Self-motivated, hands-on, creative individual with strong initiative & judgment.
- Ability to work well independently as well as in collaborative or team environments.
- Drives change & innovation by improving work product or process, & challenges established norms where appropriate.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize & manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.