Away is seeking an Engineering Manager to join our team. The ideal candidate will be a highly technical leader as well as a thoughtful people manager. They will be closely working with Digital Product & UX to create & ship delightful & scalable product experiences.
What You'll Do:
- Manage a team of software engineers. Some will be in-house, but most of the team will be an offshore agency
- Work with product management, UX, & project management teams to design & develop customer facing digital experiences, APIs, & backend systems
- Take ownership of planning, strategy, execution, testing, & overall success of complex technical projects
- Recruiting & career development of team members
- Communicating cross functionally with a variety of teams, stakeholders, vendors to advance project goals
- Being a technical leader & contributor to projects, including some coding, code reviews, & architectural discussions
- Help iterate on our software development & agile processes
- 5+ years of professional programming experience
- 1+ years of technical leadership & people management experience
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages
- 2+ years of retail and/or e-commerce experience
- 2+ years of technical leadership & people management experience with a team of 5 or more engineers
- Experience with Spree and/or Solidus
- Experience with AWS, Heroku, or similar IaaS or PaaS provider.
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but thats a given!
Youll Love Working At Away Because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. Since our launch in February 2016, we have sold more than a million travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to almost 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, & launched several new products & experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know thats just the beginning!
We have been named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies for the second consecutive year, one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies, one of LinkedIns Top Startups, & a Forbes Next Billion Dollar Start-Up.
Were building the #1 travel brand in the world -- come join us on this incredible adventure!