Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
CodecademysGrowth Teamis responsible for driving user & revenue growth for the company via iterative experimentation. Our team is a nimble, multi-functional group of engineers, designers, marketers, data analysts, & a product manager working together to improve on all aspects of our website. We try new things & we learn quickly from our mistakes. The team works to develop new user acquisition channels (Referrals, Podcasts, etc.), optimize our existing channels (e.g. SEO, Paid, Email), increase subscriber retention rates, & improve our checkout process using a product development process rooted in metrics.
In this role, you will motivate & inspire your team to work on interesting projects related to growth & monetization as we deliver products & features that empower our learners around the world. Our team isconfronting difficult questions related to scale, architecture, & interaction.You will need to execute on project goals by being a technical resource to your engineers as well as actively contributing to our learner experience. Clear communication as an Engineering Manager is key as you will not only be leading your specific team but collaborating across engineering teams within the company.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Hire & build an engineering team that is driven by the mission & vision that you champion for the team
- Work with individual engineers to define career goals & align their ambitions with relevant projects & tasks
- Guide your team on architecting & authoring services across our platform that enable our users to achieve their learning goals
- Work closely with leadership across Marketing, Product, & Customer Support
- Collaborate with other teams to get ahead of cross-team dependencies
- Contribute to engineering team-wide process improvements & automation
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 4+ years of management experience, particularly running teams with goals around growth & monetization
- Previous experience hiring technical talent
- 8+ years of experience working in a frontend or full stack facing role
- You know your browser APIs & optimizing for frontend performance is a challenge you'll gladly accept
- Experience with NoSQL (MongoDB) & SQL (Postgres) databases
- Previous performance management & career goal setting experience
- Previous experience working with cross functional teams
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Management experience on a growth team at a rapid growth technology company
- Experience with Go
- Teaching and/or structured tutoring experience
- Experience utilizing Codecademys Platform
- BS/MS in Computer Science or engineering
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.