THIS IS BLUE APRON
At Blue Apron, our mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyonefrom the novice cook just getting started to the experienced chef. Each week we send hundreds of thousands of customers all the pre-measured & perfectly proportioned ingredients they need to prepare delicious & healthy meals at home. We introduce our members to new ingredients, flavors, & cooking techniques with seasonally-inspired recipes that are always delicious, fun & easy to prepare. We make fresher, healthier food available at better prices by rethinking the grocery supply chain from the table all the way back to the farm.
Chefs around the world wear blue aprons when learning to cook, & for us it has become a symbol of lifelong learning. Our highly motivated group of foodies is inspired to work on complex business problems with creativity & passion always looking to learn something new. We take preparation seriously, embrace a spirit of excellence, & put in the extra effort in everything we do. We are thrilled to be part of our customers lives, cooking & creating experiences in their home kitchens.
WHOS IN THE KITCHEN
Blue Apron is seeking a bright, energetic, business-minded & self-motivated attorney with 7-9 years of proven corporate, public company/securities law, corporate governance & complex commercial contracts experience gained at a leading law firm & in-house, ideally at a public technology or Internet company, to join its Legal Department. This is a truly unique opportunity to be a senior attorney at a high-profile, consumer-facing public technology & ecommerce company, working closely with the companys Financial Reporting, Investor Relations, Internal Audit, Executive Compensation, Accounting, Tax & Treasury teams. This role also interfaces regularly with the companys CEO, CFO, General Counsel & other members of its executive leadership team, to provide practical legal advice & counsel & manage, negotiate & execute on a broad range of corporate, securities law & commercial initiatives & the organizations day-to-day operational needs & strategic priorities.
This position reports directly to the General Counsel & is based in the companys corporate headquarters in New York City (Flatiron).
WHATS ON THE MENU
- Leading or assisting in all areas related to the companys corporate & securities laws matters & related compliance, including Securities Act & Exchange Act matters & NYSE matters
- Preparation & review of SEC filings, including registration statements, Forms 10-K, 10-Q & 8-K, proxy statements (including shareholder proposals & proxy solicitations) & Section 16 reporting, including Forms 3, 4 & 5
- Developing, refining & maintaining policies & procedures to ensure compliance with SEC & other securities-related regulatory requirements applicable to publicly-traded companies, including NYSE listing standards, as well as Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Dodd-Frank Act & Regulation FD & insider trading
- Advising on corporate governance, executive compensation & various other related matters (such as transfer agent & equity plan administration), as well as developing, adopting, managing & refining applicable corporate governance policies & procedures
- Keeping abreast, & advising on potential impact, of new & proposed securities law & corporate governance developments, market trends & best practices to ensure continued compliance
- Assisting corporate secretary in all corporate secretarial function matters, including preparation of notices, agendas & materials for board of directors & committee meetings, including board minutes, resolutions & actions, managing the board & committees meeting cadence, & leading preparation for annual meeting of shareholders
- Advising on ISS, Glass Lewis & other proxy advisory service positions & corporate responses
- Advising on investor relations matters, including review of earnings announcements, earnings scripts, press releases, investor presentations, investor communications, internal communications & other materials (including preparation of appropriate securities law disclosure as necessary)
- Leading or assisting on all capital markets & other strategic transactions, including M&A & corporate financing transactions
- Developing & delivering employee trainings on securities law & related matters, such as insider trading & Regulation FD
- Having primary Legal Department responsibility for managing the companys real property portfolio (with the General Counsels support as needed), including the acquisition & disposition of real property assets, leases & subleases, & for the Finance Departments day-to-day business needs, including drafting & negotiating a variety of complex commercial agreements on an as-needed basis
- Supporting Legal teams drafting & negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, including supply chain, logistics, equipment procurement, facilities, master services, confidentiality & other commercial agreements, including advising on applicable privacy, data security & IP provisions in commercial agreements
- Providing advice & counsel to business team leaders on all legal matters affecting areas of coverage, in consultation with other members of the Legal Department & outside counsel as necessary
- Building close relationships with personnel at supported business operations & obtaining & maintaining a strong knowledge of the companys products & the objectives of those operations
- Leading or assisting the Legal Departments efforts in the preparation, implementation & refinement of forms, processes & procedures relevant to areas of coverage
- Managing outside counsel in all appropriate areas of coverage
- Providing substantive support to other members of the Legal Department as needed, including directly supervising a Counsel who focuses on commercial agreements.
- Performing other special assignments, strategic projects or duties as needed
- J.D. from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials & 7-9 years of relevant experience, including at least three years at a leading national law firm as a general corporate & securities and/or capital markets attorney & significant time spent in-house, ideally at a public technology or Internet company (consumer-facing web or ecommerce preferable) in roles of increasing responsibility
- Broad & deep expertise in corporate & U.S. securities laws, corporate governance & board governance matters, including best practices, including strong experience with coordination & timely & continuous filing of disclosure documentation with the SEC & NYSE
- Familiarity with public company accounting, tax & finance processes, terminology, systems & issues, including a basic knowledge of financial statements, GAAP accounting & tax matters preferred
- Experience drafting & negotiating complex commercial contracts.
- Must be admitted, active & in good standing with the New York State bar, or with another state bar & registered, or eligible to register, as in-house counsel with the State of New York
- Be passionate about technology & energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic public company
- Be extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches his or her IQ, & the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees & management
- Have excellent communication (written & verbal) & interpersonal skills
- Be detail-oriented, organized, efficient & resourceful with strong follow-through skills
- Be highly analytical & have exceptional business & legal issue identification & problem-solving skills
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving & be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear, concise & commercial advice, & creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs
- Be a strong & astute negotiator with impeccable judgment
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, can do attitude to the workplace & works collaboratively with other members of the Legal team & with internal clients
- Be able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands & shifting priorities within a fast-paced, high-intensity & rapidly evolving environment
- Have a strong desire to learn the business & new areas of law & to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Be collegial, hard-working, confident, a self-starter & have a passion for results
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state & local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms & conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation & training.