Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions & consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Over 1,000 clientsincluding more than 50% of the Fortune 100choose Foursquare.
Foursquares toolkit includes Placed powered by Foursquare, Audiences powered by Factual & Proximity powered by Factual, Analytics Solutions, Places, Pilgrim SDK & Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to measure foot traffic lift via multi-touch attribution; deliver proximity-based advertising; analyze & identify trends; drive deeper engagement via Foursquares industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 200,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Twitter & Uber; & optimize advertising campaigns across hundreds of audiences. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map & models fresh & up-to-date.
Foursquare has more than 350+ employees based in New York headquarters with offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago & Singapore. In 2019 Foursquare acquired Placed from Snap Inc, & then in 2020 merged with Factual. Foursquare is proud to be funded by The Raine Group, Simon Ventures, Naver, Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners & more.
About the Team
Data Science team at Foursquare owns research & methodology across all Foursquare products. Members of this team have advanced training in statistics, data science, and/or machine learning. While we produce code that is executed in production environments, the focus is on developing methodology, building models, & prototyping novel uses of our data resources.
This Visits is responsible for the methodology & models associated with creating visits including the underlying models. They own the methodology & models for enriching user level data, recall correction methodology, models inferring other real world behaviors, & leveraging emerging mobile features to collect data which allows us to improve the quality of behavior inferences. They are also responsible for research on OS features which impact our ability to build inferences.
About the role:
We are currently looking for a Senior Manager of Data Science or a Director of Data Science depending on your experience.
The Director of Data Science will be responsible for managing the whole Data Science team, including working with other directors in the Data Engineering teams as well as other stakeholders such as the Product & Go To Market teams in order to make sure we deliver high quality solutions on time powering our industry leading products. The Director of Data Science will report to the VP of Engineering in charge of Data Science.
The Senior Manager will be responsible for running the Visits team in particular.. The role can grow into the director role based on the impact & growth you demonstrate in the role.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Making sure the team has the right tools & processes in place to deliver work that is on time & to specification.
- Owning & managing the teams OKRs & deliverables for the quarter
- Working with partners & stakeholders in other teams to set & understand requirements.
- Growing & retaining the data scientists in the team
- Experience leading a research team with complex systems-building requirements
- Experience mentoring new leaders via coaching & compassion
- A technical understanding of quantitative modeling & building big-data systems, leveraging modern technologies like Spark & EMR
- Able to be a bridge between scientists & product owners, generating agreement & consensus
- Strong knowledge of Agile processes, including an understanding of how to balance short-term needs with long-term research payoffs
- Highly-effective communication skills (both written & verbal) including the ability to get buy-in from product managers & executives
- An understanding of the quality & reliability needs of an enterprise business
- Experience in areas related to geospatial tech preferred; or related areas of real-world measurement, e.g., healthcare tech
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe that in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice, & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & a suite of products that we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.