Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Team:
Our Quality Engineering (QE) team is focused on thinking like our users & helping our product engineering teams build features that work well for those users in all the ways they may interact with our systems. We operate as a central QE department to ensure best practices & processes across development teams with QE team members embedded with & working as part of the individual development teams. Working closely as part of the development team during all phases of the process ensures quality early on in the process & gives a sense of joint ownership of the features & quality of deliverables.
About the Job:
As a Quality Engineering Manager at Rent the Runway, you will be responsible for leading & guiding all parts of our Quality Engineering efforts for all our Consumer development teams responsible for our customer facing tools, technology & applications - people, processes & technology. With a strong technical focus, you will manage a team of Quality Engineers & Analysts while working alongside development teams to understand the functioning, design & architecture of our systems in order to determine what test approaches & frameworks to use to ensure high quality software. Ensuring high quality delivery of Consumer feature development projects while aligning all Consumer QE activities with the overall automation first quality strategy. Engaging with the Central Quality team to shape the future quality vision & build the backlog for current & future quality initiatives.
What Youll Do:
- Be an advocate for quality in all areas of our product development - Processes, tools & people. Ensure quality processes & activities are in place & adhered to. Drive technical projects needed for quality to success & provide leadership in a fast-paced environment
- Conduct regular check-ins & 1-1s with team members
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members. Lead a team of diverse & talented quality software engineers across the Consumer development teams.
- Assist leadership in building out organizational structure across the quality organization - including resource requests, hiring plans, training & career development.
- Ensure Consumer development project delivery, across multiple development teams, at a high level of quality throughout the planning, development & release phases.
- Regular quality progress & status reporting across all projects to various stakeholders.
- Regular engagement with Consumer Product & Engineering management to ensure roadmap planning & resource alignment to facilitate delivery across cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, & Design.
- Contribute to projects by being hands-on in all quality activities across the development lifecycle & removing roadblocks. Active hands-on involvement in test planning, test case authoring, reporting & signoff, coordinating testing activities & delivery.
- Embrace & lead an automation first approach to quality activities
- Improve developer & quality processes across the organization & track SDLC metrics. Assess our current Agile/Scrum processes & advise for changes to improve predictability & improve quality, from requirements through to delivery.
- Help put in place tools to improve & assess quality - e.g. code coverage analysis, static analysis tools. This would require knowledge of good software design & advocate with the development teams what coding standards & good practices is needed
- Put in place detailed reporting & dashboards to allow analysis of our testing & test results. Enhanced reporting to identify problem areas in our applications.
- Work with the site performance teams to ensure we have non-functional testing (performance, load, reliability) in place & use this data as part of our day-to-day assessment of quality & include it in our production release processes.
- Be involved in the production defect retrospective process to determine gaps in our testing strategy & approach & implement the necessary changes to ensure we cover these off. Be knowledgeable on the overall system to advise on testing, architecture, operational or configuration changes needed to prevent future problems.
- Lead prioritization efforts & provide mentorship to others
- BA/BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Extensive professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- Hands-on technical leadership and/or people management experience
- A strong appreciation for engineering best practices & quality over quantity of work & experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team
- An Agile/Scrum development leader with a strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools & processes
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, Java microservices, algorithms, & relational/NoSQL databases.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines & containerization tools such as Jenkins, GitHub Actions, & cloud technologies such as Docker & Kubernetes
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis & optimization
- Ability to understand, diagnose, & effectively articulate technical challenges & solutions
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems & make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.