Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management & technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 27 buildings, 6 cities, & over 800 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C. & receive over 3,000 new member applications per week.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves & has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is seeking an Interior Architect to join our Design & Construction Team to create homes for shared living. The position will require the candidate to provide Architectural services to our partners through concept mood boards, construction drawings, technical specifications, & sketch renderings. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in an evolving, fast-paced startup environment. This is an opportunity for a talented thought leader to help conceptualize & execute better housing across multiple cities at a large scale.
Architecture at Common is unique in that we are the industry experts in shared living. We believe that through thoughtful design we can foster a living experience that is convenient, flexible, beautiful, & builds community. The role will require a high level of autonomy & will involve a combination of technicality, project management, & production. The candidate is expected to have strong technical knowledge of architecture & construction industry standards. They should also be familiar with general zoning, cost estimation, specifications, schedules, & contract management.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an exciting start up at an early stage, as your work will have a meaningful & significant impact on both the member experience & the formation of future processes at Common. You will report directly to the Senior Manager of Interior Architecture & work closely with peers in the Design & Construction Team. You will work side-by-side with the Interior Designer & Photo Art Director to ensure the continuity of our strong brand aesthetics. You will learn the ins & outs of residential design across multiple cities & multiple scales. With success, your role will expand as Common continues to scale.
- Developing graphic standards & business processes from scratch.
- Production & management of deliverables: drawing sets, concept mood boards, specifications, & construction administration.
- Providing technical advice on specifications & construction details.
- Building a library of finish & fixture selections
- Project & account management & coordination between owners, architects, & contractors with excellent customer service.
- Manage, coordinate & execute multiple projects at once, including architectural level documentation & coordination with clients & consultants.
- Comfortable managing all client expectations, internal/external team communication, oversight, & mentorship of Junior Interior Architects.
- Directly responsible for oversight, & delivery of design documents at all stages of the interior architectural process.
- Ensures that project design intent is on brand & follows architectural best practices.
- 2-4 years of professional experience in an architecture/interior design firm required.
- Work Samples must demonstrate experience in production & management of drawing sets & specification manuals.
- Work Samples must demonstrate experience & familiarity with finishes, materials & fixtures.
- Sharp eye for interior design & finishes required.
- Candidate must be detail-oriented & comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative & analytical reasoning.
- Candidate must be very organized & be able to multi-task across large number of projects. Must be able to prioritize & organize against near & long-term goals effectively.
- Candidate must have a talent for customer service & client management.
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing & implementing best practices.
- Quick adaptation to an expanding variety of platforms, apps, & workflows in a fast-paced startup environment required.
- Candidate must be a direct & proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed.
- Proficiency in Rhino, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign required, Revit experience is preferred but not required.
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) & a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.