At Poppin, we believe that everyone, everywhere deserves to work happy.
We provide companies the foundation for creating inspirational workspaces through a unique offering of furniture, office supplies, & branded merchandise. Weve put a modern spin on a 100 year-old industry thats been slow to adapt to todays modern consumer. By simplifying the process, providing transparent pricing & discounts, & making our products available on demand, Poppin is able to offer a service unlike any other in the marketplace.
Poppin is searching for a Lead Mechanical Engineer for its high growth product category Poppinpod, an all-inclusive approach to privacy, sound mitigation, & sub-enclosure within the office. Drawing on experience managing the development of architectural interior products, the right candidate will be responsible for overseeing the specification, fabrication, & testing protocols associated with all products in the line, to continuously improve their cost, schedule, performance, & aesthetics. The position will report to Poppins Director of Engineering & work cross-departmentally with our merchants, logistics & overseas offices & suppliers.
- Follow Poppinpods product development process consistently across all items.
- Ensure all product designs receive complete technical specification including CAD data / Sample feedback / QC review.
- Manage the communication & delivery of technical specifications to our overseas development teams & vendors.
- Confirm all products are manufacturable in a cost efficient & feasible manner.
- Investigate, source, & distribute all relevant protocols for an evolving category.
- Ensure all products meet design requirements as stated under the corresponding BIFMA, ISTA, ASTM, CA 65, CARB, UL, Seismic, Building Code, and/or otherwise prescribed testing protocols.
- Ensure all proper documentation throughout the product development cycle.
- Implement consistent methods of communication to keep each department informed of all product development & requirements.
- Support PM / Sales / Marketing teams with assembly oversight troubleshooting & training.
- Minimum Bachelors Degree required in the areas of architecture, interior architecture, mechanical or civil engineering with a focus on product development preferred.
- 6+ years experience developing architectural interior products or furniture.
- Expert in Solidworks with demonstrated experience implementing documentation best practices.
- Superb knowledge of manufacturing processes including: injection molding, sheet metal, die casting, extrusions, machining, solid wood & panel assembly, upholstery, & part design.
- Experience with UL standards is a plus.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite for the purpose of presenting visually.
- Documented knowledge of product & building codes compliances & tests.
- Broad knowledge of mechanical, electrical, HVAC systems & their installation.
- Broad knowledge of building materials properties & functional characteristics.
- Demonstrated success managing the production lifecycle.
- Strong communication & presentation skills.
- Ability to correspond after hours with our overseas team.
- Overtly healthy attitude toward making things possible.
Successful Poppin team members step up to the plate & work to get smarter every single day. Our startup ethos requires an all-hands-on-deck attitude (or, as we call it, work scrappy), taking on any & all changes with excitement & a great attitude.
We believe that working happy starts with embracing differences & that self-expression shouldnt end at the office. To that end, every Poppin employee is encouraged to be themselves & create fun every day. While we align our company goals on the changing needs of our employees, business, & larger communities, we remain consistently committed to creating an environment rooted in diversity, equity, & inclusion for all Poppin employees, partners, & customers.
Poppin believes in building an organization whose staff reflects the true diversity of our community. We are committed to hiring, promoting, & rewarding our employees on the basis of professional performance & results. Poppin provides equal employment opportunities to all employees & applicants in all company facilities without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, partnership status, ancestry, disability, or veteran status.