Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Counsel to join our Legal team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will have experience independently providing day-to-day legal support to significant areas of a quickly growing business, such as logistics & fulfillment initiatives, digital & offline advertising & media initiatives, the development, manufacture & sale of new product types, & retail expansion. You will report to the General Counsel & this position will be based in Soho, New York City.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training, & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What youll do:
- Be a legal advisor to teams at Away, including the Brand Marketing, Operations, Logistics & Fulfillment, Systems & Technology & Retail teams.
- Provide practical legal advice supporting business functions in the US & internationally, with an emphasis on business operations & commercial transactions.
- Draft, review, & negotiate a variety of commercial contracts, including SaaS agreements, services agreements with a wide range of suppliers & service providers, confidentiality agreements, data privacy agreements, releases & consulting agreements.
- Support our Brand Marketing team on consumer-facing projects & initiatives, including social media influencer agreements, production agreements, & product placement agreements.
- Develop & maintain expert current knowledge on new developments & legal guidance relevant to our business.
- Develop & operationalize policies, training, templates & workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks in substantive areas.
- Collaborate in the continuing development of Aways commercial contracts workflows to develop a scalable, business-centric approach to commercial agreements
- Create, update & manage legal policies, processes & resources for the company as a whole.
- Counsel & educate teams on contract terms, negotiation best practices, commercial implications & legal risks.
- Support data privacy & other compliance initiatives, including keeping up to date on new & changing laws & working to implement & improve data minimization efforts.
- Participate in & assist with the management of our pro bono legal services program.
Who you are:
- You have at least 4+ years of directly relevant experience, including time at a top law firm, In-house legal experience advising on commercial, operations & technology issues with a consumer brand strongly preferred.
- You have significant experience with independently drafting & negotiating contracts to completion & tackling legal issues through a business lens.
- You effectively provide practical advice to non-legal team members on a variety of legal & business issues, preferably in a start-up environment.
- You thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, independently setting priorities & driving results.
- You have the desire & capacity to learn & teach.
- You have strong business acumen, excellent legal & practical judgment, & strong problem-solving skills.
- You focus on results with a high sense of urgency & demonstrated time management skills.
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!).
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire.